Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI 2.4GB

JPS2021
Aspirant

ORBI 2.4GB

SO I have this piece of **bleep** Netgear ORBI system which this crappy company won't provide support unless I pay $49.00 to get the answer.  reaching out here hoping for a normal non-greedy person that can help us set a 2.4 wifi to "ON" so we can connect specific devices that need 2.4.  Anyone able to assist? 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI 2.4GB

What model Orbi do you have? 

Do you mean 2.4Ghz SSID signal? 

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this. The Orbi RBR50 has a feature which many users have found allows them to set up devices which require the smartphone to be attached to WiFi at 2.4G:
Connect a device with a large screen to the Orbi web interface, http://orbilogin.net
(computer, laptop, tablet)
The user name is "admin" and the password is the web interface password, not the Orbi 'app' password.
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (at the bottom), Wireless Settings.
On the Advanced Wireless Settings page, uncheck the box under Advanced 5G Settings that reads
Enable SSID Broadcast
Click Apply
The router will go through a cycle which takes foreeeeeeeever.
On the smart phone, go into Network settings.
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
Search for available WiFi systems.
Select the Orbi WiFi
Enter the password and Connect
The smartphone is now connected to the Orbi at 2.4G
Note that if you attempt to "double check" by opening the Orbi Attached Devices page, that page takes several minutes to update.
Just go with it.
Open the device smartphone app and go through the setup process.
After the device is connected and working, undo the process.
On the web interface, check the box and click Apply
On the smartphone, Forget the Orbi, find it again, and connect again.

Message 2 of 6
JPS2021
Aspirant

Thanks - yes this is exactly what I was seeking. I will give it try. Wonder why they can't follow the way other systems work.  In fact, there have been a bunch of requests to Netgear to allow dual SSID one at 2.4 and one at 5.0.  Why not?  Crazy company. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats because it's not a NG issue. Its a device mfr issue. They limit there setup software to only work on 2.4Ghz while most setup devices like phones and pad are dual band and prefer to work on 5Ghz. Also the fact that these same mfrs fail to realize that both 2.4 and 5Ghz work on the same side network. So even though the setup device works on both bands, it's there setup software that is limiting. So is these mfrs who do this. 

Message 4 of 6
JPS2021
Aspirant

Manufacturer of the Wifi Router then I agree.  Manufacturer of the auxilary 3rd party devices than I don't agree.  Just about every other router on the market allow for dual broadcasting. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Non MESH routers yes, you can separate SSID. MESH systems, not all of them. NG and D-Link are a couple I know that don't support that. Again, the 3rd party device Mfrs should allow there setup software to work on 5Ghz connected devices, this would solve this. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7