Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI74 connecting to exisisting ORBI RBR50 mesh router? is this possible an if so how?

melvinmccartney
Follower

ORBI74 connecting to exisisting ORBI RBR50 mesh router? is this possible an if so how?

I have a ORBI RBR50 router and 1 satelite router. I have purchased another orbi device ORBI RBS50v2 to PLACE IN THE BASEMENT AND try to connect to my existing set up via ethernet cable. Is this possible and if so what about the info on the new device that says network name ORBI74 AND GIVES PASSWORD THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN MY EXISTING SYSTEM. WHAT CAN I OR SHOULD I DO?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI74 connecting to exisisting ORBI RBR50 mesh router? is this possible an if so how?

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4

Re: ORBI74 connecting to exisisting ORBI RBR50 mesh router? is this possible an if so how?

@melvinmccartney wrote:

I have a ORBI RBR50 router and 1 satelite router. I have purchased another orbi device ORBI RBS50v2 to PLACE IN THE BASEMENT AND try to connect to my existing set up via ethernet cable.

You want to add an Orbi RBS50v2 satellite to an RBR50 Orbi router?

Before you waste time wandering off somewhere else, just read the manuals.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

In effect, you have the RBK50 bundle.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@melvinmccartney wrote:

I have a ORBI RBR50 router and 1 satelite router. I have purchased another orbi device ORBI RBS50v2 to PLACE IN THE BASEMENT AND try to connect to my existing set up via ethernet cable. Is this possible and if so what about the info on the new device that says network name ORBI74 AND GIVES PASSWORD THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN MY EXISTING SYSTEM. WHAT CAN I OR SHOULD I DO?

The information printed on the label was most likely for when the satellite was included in a package.

When you follow the "Add Orbi Satellite" process on the Orbi web interface home page (bottom menu item), it will sync with the router and the WiFi SSID/password will be changed to match the existing router.

Many users would do that initial sync with the satellite in the same room as the router.  Saves you stumbling up/downthe stairs when pressing sync buttons within two minutes.  Allows you to see the "ring light" on the satellite while sitting at the router.  Just easier all around.

After proving that the satellite is "good" in the sense of connecting correctly to the router, it would not hurt to connect the satellite to the router with an ethernet patch cord. (why do we call them 'patch' cords?). This will verify that the satellite correctly recognizes the ethernet connection and switches.

Why this step?  If the satellite is put in the basement and does not sync over ethernet, where is the problem?  (the satellite? the ethernet cable inside the walls?  The wall jacks?)  By verifying that the satellite switches to ethernet backhaul correctly, that eliminates the satellite as a potential problem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7