× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 5G Router NBR750 & Ring Stick Up Cam

Cvang1989
Aspirant

Orbi 5G Router NBR750 & Ring Stick Up Cam

Hello I'm hoping that someone can help me. I have recently purchased a Orbi 5G Router NBR750 but I cannot get it to work with my Ring Stick Up Camera. I can get all of my other ring devices to work (ex. My indoor camera, security system, chime pro, etc) it's just my stick up cameras that I'm trying to set outside that is not working. Things that I have tried:

1. Disabling the 5G
2. Changing my password for router
3. Tried to connect through chime pro
4. Tried to connect through a secondary router that I have through the 2.4ghz wifi.

I'm assuming that it's some kind of setting within the Orbi that may need to be reconfigured but I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi 5G Router NBR750 & Ring Stick Up Cam

@Cvang1989 wrote:
1. Disabling the 5G
4. Tried to connect through a secondary router that I have through the 2.4ghz wifi.

The Ring stick up camera installation instructions do not mention anything about 5G WiFi:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015737232-Setting-Up-Your-Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-in-Your... 

(Which makes sense.  If the largest and most prominent security camera company could  not work with modern WiFi systems, everybody would be screaming about it.)

Was there actually an option on the Orbi NBR750 to disable 5G WiFi?  None of the other AX products have this capability.

I would get the camera set up before moving it outside.

What step in the setup procedure fails?

If the camera will not connect to the Orbi and will not connect to another WiFi system, perhaps the camera is defective.

Message 2 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

Try setting your CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 to maximize compatibility with older wireless devices:

1. Go to the web admin portal at http://orbilogin.com/
  2. Click to the Advanced tab, Advanced left menu, Wireless Settings
  3. Set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both 2.4hz and 5Ghz networks
  4. Press Apply

See if that helps.  If problems still persist, next try disabling AX mode for the 2.4Ghz band:

1. Go to http://orbilogin.com/
  2. Click to hte Advanced tab, Setup left menu, Wireless Setup
  3. Uncheck "Enable 2.4G" under the top Enable AX section
  4. Press Apply
Message 3 of 11
Cvang1989
Aspirant

Yes, there is an option to disable the 5G, however, it still does not work. 

The issue i'm having is when you are setting up to connect the camera to the obri's wifi.  It will time out every time and say "Setup failed, You are no longer connected to the internet, please try again."

I have 3 stick up camera's and they all seem to be having the same issue.  I have tested on a 2.4ghz hotspot I have and they connected just fine.

Message 4 of 11
Cvang1989
Aspirant

I have tried that, did not work.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The check box next the AX 5G is to enable or disable the AX wifi mode ON 5Ghz. This does not disable the 5Ghz radio. There is no option to disable wifi radios on Orbi systems. 

Try turning OFF ALL RBS. Then change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015737232-Setting-Up-Your-Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-in-Your... 

On Step 12, the Ring app correctly identifies the Orbi WiFi as one of the available systems, correct?

Then the password is entered and at that point the operation "times out"?

In post #1 there was a comment:

The camera timed out when connecting to both the Orbi WiFi and the secondary router WiFi?

But, it does connect to a Hot Spot.

On the Ring support site, there are several comments regarding WiFi6 (802.11ax).  Did you ever disable AX on the 2.4G WiFi channel as @FURRYe38 suggested in post #3?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Cvang1989 wrote:
Hello I'm hoping that someone can help me. I have recently purchased a Orbi 5G Router NBR750 but I cannot get it to work with my Ring Stick Up Camera. I can get all of my other ring devices to work (ex. My indoor camera, security system, chime pro, etc) it's just my stick up cameras that I'm trying to set outside that is not working. Things that I have tried:

1. Disabling the 5G

I'm assuming that it's some kind of setting within the Orbi that may need to be reconfigured but I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Message 8 of 11
Cvang1989
Aspirant

On Step 12, the Ring app correctly identifies the Orbi WiFi as one of the available systems, correct?

Correct

Then the password is entered and at that point the operation "times out"? 

Times out when you are trying to connect camera to wifi

In post #1 there was a comment:

Yes I have, I had a Netgear Nighthawk router that I connected to the Orbi, then the camera to the Nighthawk, nothing and same error.

The camera timed out when connecting to both the Orbi WiFi and the secondary router WiFi?

But, it does connect to a Hot Spot.

Correct, it connected to my hotspot just fine just not to the Orbi

On the Ring support site, there are several comments regarding WiFi6 (802.11ax).  Did you ever disable AX on the 2.4G WiFi channel as @FURRYe38 suggested in post #3?

Yes, I have disabled these options.  I was even on the phone with a tech for about an hour, turning on and off settings to try to make it work but we couldnt do anything. She said that she will get with a level 2 tech to give me a call but it was too late then. I had been too fustrated and exhausted.  As much as I liked it, I returned the product for a refund.

Message 9 of 11
Cvang1989
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Are you having the same issue?

The best thing for me was to just return the product.  As much as I liked it, there isn't anything you can use (not to my knowledge) to use it as a home internet.  Not sure where you can find a plan or carrier that would give you montly unlimited data (if not, at least more then 50GB) for a reasonable price.  I thought that I was going to be able to go through T-Mobile with their 100GB but I thought wrong.  Orbi will only work with the 50GB per month and my kids need it way more than that.  The struggles I had with this device connecting to my Ring camera's and no more than 50GB made me submit it back in as a return.  If you only needed 50GB per month it  might work for you.  

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't have this specific model product. 

If it's not working for you then it maybe best to return it and find something that does.

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7