×

Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi Network Map

abel358
Aspirant

Orbi Network Map

I have an Orbi RBR20 with two satilites.  Typical the network map on my phone app shows the two satilites connected in parallel to the main router.  Recent the app shows the two satilites connected in series.  That is, one satilite connected to the router and the 2nd satilite connected to the first satilite.  What causes this and does it impact the performance of the system.  How can I get it to go back to the way it was?

 

Thank you for your help.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Network Map

Its called daisy chaining. In some instances it does degrade performance but I've only noticed speeds slowing down at maximum speeds and not for general usage. 
you can disable daisy chaining through the settings for it. 

 

But you might find that it provides better speeds this route if its defaulting to that setup. 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

 

Message 2 of 7
abel358
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Network Map

Thank you for your feedback.  I looked in my settings and do not see anywhere where I can disable daisy-chaining.  Can you provide additional details where to look?

 

Thank you.

 

Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi Network Map


@abel358 wrote:

Thank you for your feedback.  I looked in my settings and do not see anywhere where I can disable daisy-chaining.  Can you provide additional details where to look?

 

Thank you.

 


https://kb.netgear.com/000048460/How-do-I-disable-daisy-chain-topology-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Network Map

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite


@abel358 wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR20 with two satilites.  Typical the network map on my phone app shows the two satilites connected in parallel to the main router.  Recent the app shows the two satilites connected in series.  That is, one satilite connected to the router and the 2nd satilite connected to the first satilite.  What causes this and does it impact the performance of the system.  How can I get it to go back to the way it was?

 

Thank you for your help.


 

Message 5 of 7
PatricOlsson
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Network Map

I want to avoid the star network setup?

Where are the settings?

Regards Patric
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Network Map

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

 


@PatricOlsson wrote:
I want to avoid the star network setup?

Where are the settings?

Regards Patric

 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3261 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7