Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 – IP Address Change from 10.0.0.1 to Verizon 192.168.1.1

OrbiUser2020
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 – IP Address Change from 10.0.0.1 to Verizon 192.168.1.1

Good Evening 
I just purchased "NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)"

I connected it and it works good, the only issue is that the unit created it own LAN Network (10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254) 

I am using Verizon Fios 1gb Router/Modem(Model Name: Fios-G1100) and my LAN Network is 192.168.1.1, all of my devices are on this network and by connecting devices to Orbi puts them on the new Orbi LAN network and they can not be seen by my main LAN Network.
I need all of my devices to be teh same LAN Network. 

I've tried to change the Orbi IP to 192.168.1.30  and reserve DHCP range 192.168.1.31 to 192.168.149 for Orbi, but I keep getting the folowing message - "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP subnet. Please enter a different IP address". I have played artound with it and read Community posts, but still was not successfull. 

I have endup called Netgear Support, but their Tech Support people are cluless and they treat you like an idiot.
I've wasted 2 hours on the phone with them, they tried to connect me to higher level support but disconected me 3 times and I gave up on them. 

I am sure that I am not the only one who has teh same problem, 
Can anyone walk me step by step on how to do it? 

Thank you In Advance. 
Gary

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 – IP Address Change from 10.0.0.1 to Verizon 192.168.1.1

That won't work in that configuration. Having 2 routers on the same line using the same IP address or with in the same IP address pool is not standard networking practice nor is it supported. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Since you seem to be using the ISP modem for your main host router, I recommend using option #3 with the RBR50. 

@OrbiUser2020 wrote:

Good Evening 
I just purchased "NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)"

I connected it and it works good, the only issue is that the unit created it own LAN Network (10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254) 

I am using Verizon Fios 1gb Router/Modem(Model Name: Fios-G1100) and my LAN Network is 192.168.1.1, all of my devices are on this network and by connecting devices to Orbi puts them on the new Orbi LAN network and they can not be seen by my main LAN Network.
I need all of my devices to be teh same LAN Network. 

I've tried to change the Orbi IP to 192.168.1.30  and reserve DHCP range 192.168.1.31 to 192.168.149 for Orbi, but I keep getting the folowing message - "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP subnet. Please enter a different IP address". I have played artound with it and read Community posts, but still was not successfull. 

I have endup called Netgear Support, but their Tech Support people are cluless and they treat you like an idiot.
I've wasted 2 hours on the phone with them, they tried to connect me to higher level support but disconected me 3 times and I gave up on them. 

I am sure that I am not the only one who has teh same problem, 
Can anyone walk me step by step on how to do it? 

Thank you In Advance. 
Gary

Message 2 of 4
OrbiUser2020
Aspirant

Thank you 
I already set it up as AP, but not happy with performance. 
WiFi speed is jumping all the time. it varies from 56 mbps to 865 mbps 
 It is very strange. My Verizon WiFi are more or less stady at about 120mbps to 180mbps  

Thank you 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you turn OFF The wifi radios on the verizon router? These need to be disabled.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7