Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK52

boohooman
Follower

Orbi RBK52

Hi, I'm thinking about an Orbi system.  I have a detached office that can't be cabled.  Can I buy two RBK52 but use all four in a single mesh network.  Does the mesh have to be hub and spoke or will this work if each satellite is in good range of the next one.

How does the coverage of a single RBK50 compare to an RT-AC86U, this is is my current setup and the range is the best of many AC routers that I have tried.

Thanks,

A.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK52

@boohooman wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking about an Orbi system.  I have a detached office that can't be cabled.  Can I buy two RBK52 but use all four in a single mesh network.  Does the mesh have to be hub and spoke or will this work if each satellite is in good range of the next one.

All four RBW30 units can be attached to one router, leaving one router unused.

They can be a combination of some satellites connecting directly to the router and some "Daisy Chained" off another satellite.

With the RBW30, each "hop" will reduce total throughput because each RBW30 will "store and forward" every packet.

@boohooman wrote:

How does the coverage of a single RBK50 compare to an RT-AC86U, this is is my current setup and the range is the best of many AC routers that I have tried.

No idea.  WiFi radio power is controlled by the FCC (or similar agency in other countries).

The critical factors as regards the detached office are (a) the distance and (b) the building construction.  There are "wireless bridge" units that can be mounted at each end and easily span a few hundred feet. If the building construction is "radio friendly", they can even be mounted indoors. One unit has an option "suction cup" mount to put it on the inside of a window.  This avoids penetrating the walls for cabling.  Using a wireless bridge requires an Orbi unit on the far end that has an ethernet connector, which the RBW30 lacks.

Message 2 of 3
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi RBK52

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7