Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR-50 internal speed check with modem half the ISP speed

Siege7817
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR-50 internal speed check with modem half the ISP speed

Yes, I have never had issues using a laptop that is wired directly to the Orbi router, it's the Orbi app that's not working properly.  I gave up trying to get it to work properly once I tried the ports on the router and the speeds were correct in multiple sites/apps.

Message 26 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if this is with the Orbi app, then please post about this in the Orbi app forum as this doesn't relate to the 50 series WAN to LAN speeds:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Thank you. 

@Siege7817 wrote:

Yes, I have never had issues using a laptop that is wired directly to the Orbi router, it's the Orbi app that's not working properly.  I gave up trying to get it to work properly once I tried the ports on the router and the speeds were correct in multiple sites/apps.

Message 27 of 44
Tbreneau
Aspirant

Happy I started this string please let me know what the results of the debug log so we publish some resolution steps. I really believe at a min the speed test is flawed. I am sure my logs would likely mirror, but would be happy to send as well. If a clear NG fix can be published it would benefit many!
Message 28 of 44
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

@FURRYe38: Just to make sure... This thread did not start as the Speedtest on the "Orbi app" which I understand to be the "Orbi app on the phone". It was started by @Tbreneau with the complaint "I have a 1Gig service from Xfinity and at their modem I verified speed of 999, however when checking speed of same connection between my Orbi Router and the Xfinity modem via o Netgear internal Orbi Router app Speedtest I only get 400-430 Mbs speed no matter the configuration. What is going on with the netgear device’s speed check?". In other words, it seems to have been intended to be about the Speedtest page running on the Orbi router reporting half the speed available to it by the ISP, without involving neither the phone app nor the direct connection of any PC to the router. Therefore, this forum seems like the correct place to continue this discussion about the Speedtest page on the RBR50's admin web page.

It is your other thread (Orbi RBR50 is not supporting 900Mb+- on the WAN to LAN test) that is about WAN-to-LAN issue you are seeing & reporting. As some of the posts on this thread, including mine, alluded to, what you are seeing on your PC seems to be sporadically observed by the others as well, and might be based on the test server Speedtest on a PC connects to, but there might be other parameters yet to be discovered.

Tuna

PS: And, I believe, the only thing the Orbi phone app's Speedtest is doing is to ask the router to run its own internal Speedtest code, and then report the results back to the phone app. So, the Speedtest feature isn't really a phone app feature but a router feature.

Message 29 of 44

@Siege7817 wrote:

I have the latest firmware and my modem is Actiontec T3200M. 

That is a  modem router.

Bonded VDSL2 Modem 802.11ac Wireless Router T3200M - Actiontec.com

Is it in modem only (bridged) mode?

In the first message @Tbreneau says:

Yes set modem to bridge tested

Two routers can cause much head scratching.

Message 30 of 44
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

@FURRYe38: I sent @Blanca_O a PM about your request, but instead asked her how she would like to receive the 11MB ZIP file, since I couldn't see a way to attach anything to a PM.

Tuna

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please send a PM to @Blanca_O and send her your ENTIRE debug-log.zip file. Let us know when she gets it.

Message 31 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

I sent her mine via Dropbox. She confirmed last night she got them. 

Give that a go.

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

@FURRYe38: I sent @Blanca_O a PM about your request, but instead asked her how she would like to receive the 11MB ZIP file, since I couldn't see a way to attach anything to a PM.

Tuna

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please send a PM to @Blanca_O and send her your ENTIRE debug-log.zip file. Let us know when she gets it.

Message 32 of 44
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Thanks! I just did that, but using OneDrive.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I sent her mine via Dropbox. She confirmed last night she got them. 

Give that a go.

Message 33 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

That works too. 

Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 44
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR40-wired-to-quantum-FiOS-only-getting-half-speed-download/m...

This points to a post with screenshots I just made that strongly hints at:

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

So, my PC is certainly able to see WIRED 1000/40 speeds when it is connected to the right internet servers. However, testing against certain servers straight from my PC is sub-1000, and the internal SpeedTest app on the Orbi is definitely stuck at reporting ~500 which is:

• either because it has a bug in testing (so, it detects half the speed) or
  • because it has a bug in reporting (so, it reports half of what it found) or
  • because it is picking a slow server to run against (so, the test server it uses is limited to 500).

Message 35 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't rely on the Speedtest app internal on the RBR. Always test external speedtest app from Ookla. Also factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. This time do not enable or use the QoS/Speedtest app, Traffic meter or any access controls, Circle or Armor. Then run your external speedtest app.

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR40-wired-to-quantum-FiOS-only-getting-half-speed-download/m...

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

So, my PC is certainly able to see WIRED 1000/40 speeds when it is connected to the right internet servers. However, testing against certain servers straight from my PC is sub-1000, and the internal SpeedTest app on the Orbi is definitely stuck at reporting ~500 which is:

• because it is picking a slow server to run against (so, the test server it uses is limited to 500).

Message 36 of 44
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Don't rely on the Speedtest app internal on the RBR. Always test external speedtest app from Ookla. Also factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. This time do not enable or use the QoS/Speedtest app, Traffic meter or any access controls, Circle or Armor. Then run your external speedtest app.

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

Please see my response https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 37 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 38 of 44
MegaMario
Aspirant

Precisely the same issue. Same Router combined with GB connection. Wired tests to modem are in the 900Mbs range. Speed test on the Orbi (at the router is running at about 50% of that number. Variables here are that I'm on Cox and using an Arris SB8200. So we can say with certainty that this is not related to the ISP or the modem. Same behavior when those variables are changed.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 39 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Did you try a power OFF of the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on, then do a factory reset of the RBR and setup from scratch and ensure that you don't enable QoS, Traffic Meter or any Access Controls? Then test with a wired PC connected at the back of the RBR? 

@Blanca_O 

@MegaMario wrote:

Precisely the same issue. Same Router combined with GB connection. Wired tests to modem are in the 900Mbs range. Speed test on the Orbi (at the router is running at about 50% of that number. Variables here are that I'm on Cox and using an Arris SB8200. So we can say with certainty that this is not related to the ISP or the modem. Same behavior when those variables are changed.

Message 40 of 44
Justwords
Tutor

It is not an App-problem. The speed-test-functionality resides on the router, not the app. This could be a clever solution to test the internet speed as wifi-problems with clients are not influencing the test. It is a pity that the internet speed test just stops at 500 Mbps. So i need to crawl in my cellar and connect my laptop via cable with the router to get a proper speed result.

Message 41 of 44

@Justwords wrote:

So i need to crawl in my cellar and connect my laptop via cable with the router to get a proper speed result.

A wired connection is the only way to get a reliable speed test.

Tests over wifi simply test the wifi speed, not the speed between modem/router and the Internet.

The modem/router's built in "hard wired" test is also not the best option. It is designed for a specific purpose.

To get reliable tests, try using a few of the usual speed test sites, starting with anything that your ISP provides. A single site relies on location, network conditions and other variables.

Message 42 of 44
Justwords
Tutor

We have a great test at http://Speedtest.computerbild.de here in germany. The point is that a test from within the router is much more convenient as you do not have to setup a wired connection to the router (also my MacBook and my Smartphone do not have Ethernet ports). So if NETGEAR creates such a test they should better make it work.
Message 43 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Mac can have wired ethernet added them with a USB C to Ethernet adapter. I'm waiting on mine to arrive for my MBP 2018. 

Wired speed testing is already preferred and recommended. Wireless brings too many variables and thus causes inaccurate results. 

@Justwords wrote:
We have a great test at http://Speedtest.computerbild.de here in germany. The point is that a test from within the router is much more convenient as you do not have to setup a wired connection to the router (also my MacBook and my Smartphone do not have Ethernet ports). So if NETGEAR creates such a test they should better make it work.

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7