Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 is blocking HomeKit

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 is blocking HomeKit

If you have any PF configurations enabled, uPnP should be disabled...

@chrisbrummel wrote:

UPnP is on, but it also looks like there's some port forwarding going on. Attached are 2 screenshots

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 12.15.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-03 at 12.16.56 PM.png

Message 26 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

@FURRYe38 I turned off uPnP, restarted Home Assistant, and started up the Home.app, but still get "No Response" from the Home Assistant devices in the Home.app. It doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Message 27 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you restart the RBR as well after uPnP was disabled? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 28 of 43
ekhalil
Master

What port forwarding do you have configured? I can’t see the pictures that you posted until approved by a moderator. Can you please post them as attachments instead.
Message 29 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

@FURRYe38 — When you apply the change, the router restarts, but I didn't unplug it and plug it back in. The ISP modem is a Technicolor c2000t.

@ekhalil — To the Pi, I am forwarding 8123 and 51829

Here's all that I'm forwarding:

Message 30 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@chrisbrummel wrote:

Here's all that I'm forwarding:

@chrisbrummel Is the 51829 is the configured default port number in configuration.yaml in the Pi?

Message 31 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

@ekhalil Yes, it's 51829 in the config.

Talking to an IT friend of mine, he was confused as to why people are recommending port-forwarding, since this is all within the network and not dealing with outside inputs.

Message 32 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@chrisbrummel wrote:

....... why people are recommending port-forwarding, since this is all within the network and not dealing with outside inputs.

Because Homekit -like most Apple or Google services- is a cloud-based service and devices need to be connected to internet to be able to make those features/services work. That's why a port needs to be opened on the router's FW to allow access of the devices to the cloud.

Message 33 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Sadly, I still think I’m at a dead-end with what I know…
Message 34 of 43
ekhalil
Master

1. Please try to change port 51829 to 51827 (tcp)
  2. You also need ports 8123 (tcp) and also 5353 (udp) for Home Assistant interface and mDNS respectively. I see that you have 8123 forwarded, but not 5353? Please try this.
Message 35 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

@ekhalil — On the Orbi, I changed it to 51827 (tcp), and opened up 5353(udp). On Home Assistant, I updated the config for HomeKit to call out "port: 51827". I made sure that the Home.app was "opening fresh" and checked out the devices — "No Response" 😕

Message 36 of 43
ekhalil
Master

1. After making changes in the Home Assitant, I don't think that changes will take effect "dynamically", I believe that you might need to restart the Home Assitant service and may be the HomeKit devices need to be restarted as well.
  2. Do you have Armor (Bitdefender) enabled in Orbi?
Message 37 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

1. I restarted Home Assistant to have the config enact the changes. Is there something more to do on that end? Should I also restart the Apple TV hub?

2. I do not use their "Armor" service.

Message 38 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Yes please, restart the Apple TV hub.

Message 39 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

Restarted the Apple TV — "No Response" Smiley Frustrated

Message 40 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

Progress!! I updated the firmware to 2.3.5.36 - Hot Fix and I now have gone from 0% reliability to 66%! About 1/3 of the time, I get "no response", but this is a huge improvement. It also tells me that it's likely specific to the Orbi.

Thanks!

-Chris

Message 41 of 43
Knawlidge
Aspirant

Did you ever find the solution?  I am having the exact same issue. I had a working setup but, I had poor wifi signal so, I picked up an RBR50. Now I have the no response issue like you. I have tried all the same fixes you did to no avail. I am running newest firmware 2.5.1.8 and can't get it working. I think I'm going to have to dump the Orbi if I can't get this working. 

Message 42 of 43
chrisbrummel
Guide

No solution. It's only gotten worse since my last message. It's not just Home Assistant that seems to have issues. My network, in general, seems to have better range, but create more issues in general.

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7