Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 with VPN Router

ryunguthrie
Follower

Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 with VPN Router

I currently have Orbi RBR50 and two RBS50 system in my home.  I would like ot set up a VPN Router for my entire home network instead of installing on each device.  I understand Orbi does not come equipped to set up as a VPN Router.  Could I buy a separate "VPN Ready" Router, like Netgear R7000, and set it up as my router?  If so, would I hardwire RBR50 to router and then use a AP and mesh in with the RBS's?  Other advice/input is welcome.  Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 with VPN Router

The Nighthawk R7000 has the same OpenVPN Host capability as the Orbi.  It allows the user to access the home network from the internet.

What you are asking for is the opposite.  I am not aware that any Netgear routers support VPN "client" to tunnel every device in the local network to the internet.

Each of the VPN service providers has a reference on their web site about which routers support their VPN.  For example, NordVPN has this page:

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1087269942/Which-router-should-I-use-with-NordVPN.ht... 

And, yes, if you want to VPN the whole network, then the Orbi would be placed in Access Point mode and connected to that router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7