Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 VLAN setting disabled itself

derekhansell
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 VLAN setting disabled itself

This is just knowledge sharing to save someone some time.
Today I noticed my PS5 was struggling to stay online, even though it had previously connected, and other devices both LAN and WLAN were working fine. It would connect to Wi-Fi, but not the Internet/PSN. After rebooting it a couple times, I decided to reboot both my CenturyLink fiber modem and my Orbi.
Then all hell broke loose - all of sudden the Orbi couldn't connect to the Internet at all, so I was hard down for a few hours while I went through all the hassle of getting a CLink dispatch scheduled.

HOWEVER - it actually ended up that my VLAN enablement checkbox had somehow UNCHECKED ITSELF.

So, y'know, that's a thing that can happen I guess. So double-check for that before you beg for a service appointment for two hours.
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 VLAN setting disabled itself

Thanks for sharing this frustrating experience. Learning new things every day.

For example, I had thought that the Orbi VLAN setting was  intended to support IPTV for customers who get cable TV through their ISP internet connection.  (My Spectrum cable service provisions TV, internet, and voice on different frequencies.  Had not considered that optical fiber does not have "frequencies".)  It had never occured (to me) that not enabling the VLAN would affect ordinary internet service.

Message 2 of 4
derekhansell
Aspirant

Yeah, CLink requires you tag your WAN port as VLAN 201. Only way I see to do that on the current firmware is by changing the default VLAN to 201. Doesn't seem to be any specific setting for just the WAN port.
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the explanation  So many different flavors of internet!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7