Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satalite spawning open network of previously defined network after reboot of main router

drksavant
Follower

Orbi Satalite spawning open network of previously defined network after reboot of main router

Hi, I've had my Orbi + Sat for a couple of months now, and everything worked fine, couple of days ago i rebooted my MAIN orbi router because i had some network glitches, then everything was fine again, at least thats what i thought, somehow the orbi sattelite WAS connected and seemed to be spawning 2 wireless networks (2.4 and 5) with both the name i defined, but ALSO an OPEN network connecting to my network with a name i defined "initialy months ago but replaced" . looking at the sat i didnt see anything to change or configure or referring to the old settings, so i decided to reboot ORBI SAT, and all is well again, im just wondering, what are the odds of it spawning the old settings again ? (really annoying to be broadcasting an open network which connects to my network) has anybody seen this happen before ?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satalite spawning open network of previously defined network after reboot of main router

Should not be using old SSID names if they have been changed. 

Has FW been updated recently? I would try a factory reset on the satellite and router and setup from scratch. 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi Satalite spawning open network of previously defined network after reboot of main router

@drksavant wrote:

has anybody seen this happen before ?

Yes.  I have seen another user report this behavior where the open network was a guest network that was previously enabled then removed.  It appears that maybe your satellite did not receive an updated configuration properly from the router, at the point when you removed the open network.  Perhaps the satellite connectivity to the router is marginal and the satellite needs to be moved to a point closer to the router or with fewer walls between.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7