× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satelite 2 constantly disconnecting

orbi_woes
Aspirant

Orbi Satelite 2 constantly disconnecting

Afternoon all,

I've had RBR50 with 2 x RBS50 satelites in place for a year or so now. It hasn't always been plain sailing but the set up generally worked. BT SmartHub > RBR50 > Sat1 (in hallway) > Sat 2 (outside office, 23ft away from sat 1) - daisychain configuration (MU-MIMO & Beamforming enabled - V2.5.2.4.)

Lately the office router keeps disconnecting. I swapped sat 1 & 2 around to dismiss hardware and still same behaviour. I updated the firmware, resynced and after many, many attempts I got it all reconnected. Admin app was showing connection status as '2.4Ghz/Poor' for sat 2 (office), but then again. it did this from day one. I usually have 40 - 50Mbs connection speed when connected, which is same as from main router. But this constant disconnection is driving me nuts. Absolutely nothing has changed in terms of infrastructure, any other interference so I am thinking something has changed with last 2 firmware updates.

I have changed from router to AP, changed the channels around, stood on one leg and slapped my forehead but still cannot get the office satelite to connect/stay connected. Any other suggestions? Anyone haviung same behaviour with this firmware version?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satelite 2 constantly disconnecting

Try swapping RBS around. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Does the behavior change if you disable Daisy Chain? 

Message 2 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

Hi There Furrye38

I had previoously swapped RBS around - same behaviour. So I now have known good RBS out in the office. The old office RBS is in the hallway and working perfectly. So, don't believe it to be hardware issue.

Actually just disabled daisy chain, rebooted, couldn't connect at all despite multiple sync attempts. So have just turned it back on. Am now connected (when I last checked a moment ago.) Office satelite status is flipping around constantly - anywhere between "5G/Good", "5G/Poor" "Disconnected" and currently on "2.4G/Poor.)

Have also reverted to router mode and turned off AP. So, other than swapping around the RBS, configuration is as it was previously (other than channel change..... can't remember the channel I had it on previously.)

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you turn OFF Daisy Chain, take the 2nd RBS to the same room as the RBR and try to resync it there. Both should sync with out Daisy chain enabled.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

If you turn OFF Daisy Chain, take the 2nd RBS to the same room as the RBR and try to resync it there. Both should sync with out Daisy chain enabled.>>> I tried syncing it from the office, not same room - didn't sync, which is why I rolled it back. The RBR would be approx 50ft from office RBS once synced, hence why I previously bought additional 2nd satelite to daisy chain. For giggles, I could turn daisy chain off and resync in same room, but I know from past experience that when I bring RBS back to office it won't connect to the RBR.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?>>>> yes, multiple times..... sadly.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?>>> No. Been hoping to avoid that. Factory reset on just the office RBS or all devices?

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems like there is a problem with RBS sync with Daisy chain disabled. 

ALL Orbi devices. I would try this..walk thru the setup wizard. I would do this with both RBS near the RBR as the setup wizard will ask you if you wanna connect them. Or you can after the wizard completes. I would not enable Armor or Circle at this point. 

Message 6 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

Hmmm - interestingly, none of this started until I accidentally clicked on a trial of Armour. I disabled it after a few days. One would like to think that was just a coincidence!

Been a while since I did a full reset. Not too painful is it? I've been doing my best to avoid it if possible. Ring (doorbell) just told me to do a factory reset to resolve a software issue on their app that can't be cleared manually. So far it has involved clambering around the loft to find the mac address bar code on the original packaging AND unscrewing the doorbell to find the pin which is printed on the back of it!!

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be the best opportunity to do a reset. I would walk thru the setup wizard. Do not enable Armor or Circle after the setup wizard completes. Once the RBR and RBS are setup and running with basic configuration, i would do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping so that you have a godo way to setup the system again should a reset be needed again in the future. Helps save time when doing a reset. Then if you want to use Armor or Circle, and something doesn't  work right, reset then re-load the configuration from file and you'd be up and running in no time. 

Message 8 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

One week later and still not had a chance to do full factory reset!! (seemed to spend best part of two days messing about with my new iphone 12 mini, which threw up loads of Whatsapp woes!!!!) However, magically, everything seems to be working normally again with the Orbi. I will still do the reset though and report back.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. I'm playing with a new 12 Max. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

orbi.jpg

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

I really just want to smash this POC up. Ever since I bought it I have had problems. I even stupidly went out and bought another satellite to try help my situation. But the additional satellite keeps disconnecting. My Ring doorbell, positioned on an outer gate, keeps disconnecting. It has a choice of TWO satellites it should connect to but because the office connection is so awful it keeps disconnecting. If only I could dictate which Orbi it could connect to. That surely can't be an impossible software alteration. I bought a TP link and wired that up in the garage and connected the Ring to that but because the satelite has failed then that has failed too. 

Is anyone at Netgear even monitoring these forums to see how awful their product actually is? There is no direct support. We rely on Community forums. The advice, though appreciated and well-meaning, generally involves full factory resets when all else fails. Nobody in their right mind wants to get involved with that. When you do reluctantly bite the bullet and try that, it doesn't resolve the issue. This really is the most expensive waste of cash ever!! The UK has a law (Consumer Rights Act 2015) that states goods should be fit for purpose. These satelites are far from being fit for purpose in my view. I really, really wish I could just return them all!!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

So, without any notification or alert, my office satellite disconnected. I resynced it with the hallway sat and it reconnected, with 'Good 5Ghz' connection. Very shortly afterwards it 'drops' to 'Poor 2.4Ghz' connection. It just lacks consistency. There is no other interference, other than the occasional rain shower, that would interfere with the connection. It really is poor .... and just so incredibly frustrating!!! 

I've just realised that when it was resynced it was connected to the main router ('Good') but then dropped off that router and connected to hallway satellite ('Poor'). This makes no sense!! 

orbi.jpgorbi2.jpgorbi3.jpg

Message 13 of 14
orbi_woes
Aspirant

So, tried removing daisy chain config and resynced - surprise surprise, it is connecting to the hallway. However, that doesn't last very long and then disconnects. The app on my phone didn't see the connection at any stage though so its hard to know which app is accurate - phone app or desktop app. 

Not sure if these photos I am posting are actually making it to the thread. Do they need approval first? What is that little penguin all about??

orbi5.jpg

orbi4.jpgorbi6.jpg

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7