Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Band Device Assignments

bacalfa
Aspirant

Orbi and Band Device Assignments

I plan to buy an Orbi system and install Ring security devices. I've read many comments on here and elsewhere of people having issues related to 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz devices, while others reported no issues at all. I understand that Orbi has a single SSID and it decides which band to assign to a connected device. Some devices (like the ones by Ring) can only connect to 2.4 GHz, for example. Ideally, I'd like to keep that band dedicated to such devices, and prevent other devices from congesting this band. Does it make sense to have such concern? Is it possible and desirable to forbid certain devices to ever be connected to a given band?
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi and Band Device Assignments

@bacalfa wrote:
I plan to buy an Orbi system and install Ring security devices. I've read many comments on here and elsewhere of people having issues related to 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz devices, while others reported no issues at all. I understand that Orbi has a single SSID and it decides which band to assign to a connected device. Some devices (like the ones by Ring) can only connect to 2.4 GHz, for example. Ideally, I'd like to keep that band dedicated to such devices, and prevent other devices from congesting this band. Does it make sense to have such concern? Is it possible and desirable to forbid certain devices to ever be connected to a given band?

Not exactly.  The Orbi access point and the device announce their capabilities to each other and the device decides which frequency to use. (not the Orbi).  There is an 802.3 standard for "band steering" where the Orbi delays accepting a connection on one channel in hopes that the device will select the other one. But, the device connects.

Devices that support only 2.4G can only connect to a 2.4G access point.  They simply cannot detect the other band.

Some devices can be instructed which band to use (but, I believe very few).

The bottom line is that Orbi is not designed to force devices to one band or another.  Other brands offer that feature, but not Orbi.  So, you may find it desirable, but it is not possible.

Message 2 of 5
vajim
Master

And to add ,....those devices that use a iPhone for setup on 2.4 only seem to have the worst problems 

if you're dealing with that type of setup the trick is get the phone on 2.4 which can be a challenge 

Message 3 of 5
bacalfa
Aspirant

Thanks! I've read a lot of good reviews about Orbi, but the Ring issues reported by some customers caught my attention. What other brands were referring to?
Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

(I know about what I own, but....) I have heard that Asus allows separate SSID's and probably the Netgear Nighthawk products.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7