Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi router won't connect to modem only existing router

rosaliajensen
Aspirant

Orbi router won't connect to modem only existing router

Im stil pretty new to all this and have been trying to connect over new orbi router and satelite for hours, i feel like i have tried everything and it just wont connect to our modem, in the app it says that it can't connect to the internet.

I then tried to connect to our already existing router, which works just fine.

So really the question is what difference it makes whether the router is connected to the modem or the existing router? Is there a big difference in efficiency? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi router won't connect to modem only existing router

@rosaliajensen wrote:

So really the question is what difference it makes whether the router is connected to the modem or the existing router? Is there a big difference in efficiency? 

No. There is no measurable difference in efficiency.  Thousands of customers have done the same thing.

You should be aware that there are specific activities that will fail when there are "two routers".  Search for "Double NAT" or see Netgear's explanation. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

My Orbi functioned fine for two years when connected to my ISP router.  Then I wanted to activate OpenDNS, which cannot function behind two routers and got Spectrum to switch me to a "plain modem".

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual modem is it? 

Message 2 of 8
rosaliajensen
Aspirant

as in brand? it's a TDC modem

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@rosaliajensen wrote:

No. There is no measurable difference in efficiency.  Thousands of customers have done the same thing.

You should be aware that there are specific activities that will fail when there are "two routers".  Search for "Double NAT" or see Netgear's explanation. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

My Orbi functioned fine for two years when connected to my ISP router.  Then I wanted to activate OpenDNS, which cannot function behind two routers and got Spectrum to switch me to a "plain modem".

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

as in model

Message 5 of 8
rosaliajensen
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

okay thank you. 

Do you have an idea what could caouse the problem with not being able to connect to my modem?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Thats why we're trying to find out what modem you have.

If its a modem only device, the fix could be different than if you're in a double nat situation. 

Message 7 of 8
rosaliajensen
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

as in model

unfortunatly i'm not sure of the model, quite new to this, also don't know how to check it 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7