Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi saying "Wi-Fi Login Required" and tries do a redirect!

RainDodger
Aspirant

Orbi saying "Wi-Fi Login Required" and tries do a redirect!

Hello, everyone! My Orbi home network (with 2 satellites) has worked fine for about 2 years. My Kindle eReader has been on the network all that time with no problem. I noticed recently the Kindle was not connected, so attempted to log back on. A dialog comes up that says, "Wi-Fi Login Required", and that the network "requires you to sign in before accessing the Internet." It tries to redirect you to a non-existent web page. I've never seen this on my home network and wouldn't know how to set it up anyway!

All other devices log on and off the network just fine. Initially I thought the Kindle had the problem, but it will log on and off other routers just fine.

Anybody know what's happening here? I can work around this by creating a hotspot with my cell phone, but that's just not right. The Kindle connection has been fine for ~2 years! I'm just not sure where the problem lies, and don't know how to remedy it. Thanks for any insight!

Roger

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi saying "Wi-Fi Login Required" and tries do a redirect!

@RainDodger wrote:

Hello, everyone! My Orbi home network (with 2 satellites) has worked fine for about 2 years. My Kindle eReader has been on the network all that time with no problem. I noticed recently the Kindle was not connected, so attempted to log back on. A dialog comes up that says, "Wi-Fi Login Required", and that the network "requires you to sign in before accessing the Internet." It tries to redirect you to a non-existent web page. I've never seen this on my home network and wouldn't know how to set it up anyway!

A couple of questions:

• Do you administer the Orbi using the web interface or the Orbi "app"?
  • When you open the web interface and display the "Attached Devices" page, (a) does it show the Kindle, and (b) is "Access Control" on or off?
Message 2 of 7
RainDodger
Aspirant

Thanks for responding. I'm experiencing frustration. 🙂 In answer to your questions:

I administer the Orbi both ways - through the app occasionally, and through the web interface.

I just accessed the web interface and "Attached Devices" does not show my Kindle (I can't get it logged on - that's the problem), BUT.. it does NOT show the wife's exact same type Kindle on the net either, although it IS logged on. I logged hers off, refreshed devices and saw that no indication that it had been on the net. I logged her kindle back on, and no new device showed up after refreshing the screen. For some reason, Kindles do not show up as an attached device.

Access control is not checked for any device whatsoever. All devices are "Allowed".

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@RainDodger wrote:

I administer the Orbi both ways - through the app occasionally, and through the web interface.  The question was because one time I had a device mysteriously stop working and when I opened the "App" that little "Pause" slider had moved over to the left.  All my swearing, "I did NOT do that!!!" had no effect.

I just accessed the web interface and "Attached Devices" does not show my Kindle (I can't get it logged on - that's the problem), BUT.. it does NOT show the wife's exact same type Kindle on the net either, although it IS logged on. I logged hers off, refreshed devices and saw that no indication that it had been on the net. I logged her kindle back on, and no new device showed up after refreshing the screen. For some reason, Kindles do not show up as an attached device.

I am not aware of any WiFi device "not appearing" as an Attached Device.  Is there a way to open the Network control panel on her Kindle and see what IP address has been assigned to it?

Access control is not checked for any device whatsoever. All devices are "Allowed".Access Control is "all or nothing", which is why it appears at the top of the Attached Devices display.

Maybe it would be worth checking on the Advanced Tab, under Security, Access Control.  There are three tables.  Have to scroll down to find the bottom two (Allowed not on the network and Blocked not on the network).

Message 4 of 7
RainDodger
Aspirant

Ah. I see that you can turn off access control (all of it) in the checkbox. I tried it both ways - no change.

Yep, I found her mac address and identified it in Attached Devices, so it does show up.

I also just tried something else to see if I could get the Kindle to ignore the 5.0 ghz net and go for the 2.4. I temporarily disabled the 5.0 SSID and reduced the transmit power to 25%, and that didn't work.

Message 5 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

I had similar problems with my Ipads. When setting up my Orbi, I used the same SSID as my previous mesh system. the Ipads automatically connected, but had issues. Forgetting the network on the Ipads fixed the problem. 

With that said have you tried forgetting the networks on you Kindle tablets?

To forget the Wi-Fi network that you're connected to, follow these steps:
1. While connected to the network that you want to forget, press the Home button, then press the Menu button.
2. Navigate to "Settings" by moving the 5-way controller down, then press the 5-way controller to select.
3. Select "view" next to "Wi-Fi Settings" to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. The Wi-Fi network you are currently connected to displays the word "forget" next to it in the list of available networks.
4. Choose "forget" to disconnect from the network

After forgetting the network, connect to the preferred network, type in password and you should be good.
Message 6 of 7
RainDodger
Aspirant

That's one of the first things I did. Didn't work, unfortunately. I think the next step is to factory reset the router, which I am loath to do. It's such a pain with all the devices on two satellites, but it is what it is. Just fyi, I used the Kindle successfully on a trip for the last week and it logged on multiple nets just fine. It is most definitely a problem with the Orbi. I'll find it eventually. Thanks all.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7