Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi system

Tinkerbellz
Follower

Orbi system

I use apple products in my house and have viasat internet.  I purchased Orbi for the fact that I want the WiFi extended throughout my house and outside.  So I placed two satellites near where I want the WiFi to be the strongest and the main one plugged in by Ethernet on my router.

now, as silly as this sounds because I am not electronics savvy, when we use the internet, do we select orbi to use or do we select our regular internet provider?  Like I said, Orbi is supposed to be making our WiFi stronger throughout the house. 

When i I talked to the sales guy before I bought this, I was told it would work ok apple products, it would not use my internet because it’s not unlimited and would be faster in spots.  So far, I don’t see any difference to justify spending 300.00.  What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi system

When most people install an Orbi system, they turn off the WiFi on their existing system and use the Orbi WiFi instead.

Since you already had WiFi, that means the internet service provider box is a combination modem/router/wifi. The Orbi default installation is as a router/wifi.  It is not great to have two routers and two wifi systems in the same house.

Our general recommendation is to:

• Change the service provider device to a "modem only", sometimes described as putting it into "bridge mode" or "passthrough mode."  On many devices, the user can do this.  On others, the subscriber has to call the service provider to have them do it.  (They get 100's of these requests each day, so they know what this is about.)
  • Change the Orbi WiFi name (SSID) and password to match exactly the WiFi name and password you have been using.  This means that all of your WiFi devices will automatically log into the Orbi now that the original WiFi system is no longer broadcasting.

Make sense?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7