Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Poor stability, frequent disconnects

Kuikenj
Aspirant

Poor stability, frequent disconnects

Hello, 

I purchased an Orbi RBK53 with two sattelites from Costco. I moved into my new place, installed my cable ISP (spectrum) and have had frequent disconnects and interupptions in my Wifi capability from the Orbi. It disconnects about 1-2x per hour!

I work from home, and I'm not a tech expert, but the cable isn't having an issue while the Orbi disconnects. I expect to be able to take this thing out of the box, plug it in and have it work. I fired the unit up on 7/26, so it should have the latest firm ware.

If this can't be fixed quickly, its going to go back to Costco and I will find a router that is stable! Help!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

Re: Poor stability, frequent disconnects

What firmware are you on?

How large is your home?

How far apart are the orbi devices? They need 30ft minimum in between them.

Is it all devices loosing wifi? Or is it specific devices?  

Have you tried changing wireless channels? 

When you loose connection, are you having to manually reconnection or what process do you use to fix the problem?

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Kuikenj wrote:

Hello, 

I purchased an Orbi RBK53 with two sattelites from Costco. I moved into my new place, installed my cable ISP (spectrum) and have had frequent disconnects and interupptions in my Wifi capability from the Orbi. It disconnects about 1-2x per hour!

I work from home, and I'm not a tech expert, but the cable isn't having an issue while the Orbi disconnects. I expect to be able to take this thing out of the box, plug it in and have it work. I fired the unit up on 7/26, so it should have the latest firm ware.

If this can't be fixed quickly, its going to go back to Costco and I will find a router that is stable! Help!

Message 3 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

4000 square foot home, main unit on first floor, wifi satellite on 2nd floor and another separate satellite (not daisy chained) in basement

all devices lose connection

firmware v2.3.1.48

have not changed wireless channels (how do I do that?)

router more or less resets and reconnects, but it takes a few minutes. and in the meantime, I lose my network connection to work

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Change channels by logging into the RBRs web page. Advanced tab/Setup/Wireless Settings. 

Message 5 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

ISP modem is a Technicolor DPC3216

Message 6 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

router and satellites are approx 40-50' apart from main unit

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to upgrade the system to v30 as that is the most current version of FW. Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser.

Message 8 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

Ok, I’ll attempt to change the channel and update the firmware etc. Currently having difficulty logging into the router. I’ve cleared the cache and its saying router isn’t connected to the network, when clearly it is or I wouldn’t be able to respond. 🙂

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different wired PC. Try using 192.168.1.1 as well...

Message 10 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Call Spectrum and confirm that your modem is in the bridge mode and not allow any NAT functions. Tell them you're using a NG Orbi ROUTER.

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

The model modem they have doesn't have a built in router. 

Message 12 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

i would still call.  Too many people are buying the Orbi without knowing what type of modem they have.  The call is free.

Message 13 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

I have updated the firm ware to V30. 

I have changed the manual channel to 6 on 2.4 ghz

i have enabled beamforming and mimo 

Unclear If it worked or not. 

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS placed in relation to the RBR? Out in a line or in a star configuration? 

Daisy Chain is for RBS that are placed out in a line from the RBR and having two or more RBS. Might have to play with this some. 

Whats the status of the RBS say? Good? 

Message 15 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Kuikenj wrote:

............... have had frequent disconnects and interupptions in my Wifi capability from the Orbi. It disconnects about 1-2x per hour!

What type of devices do you have attached to Orbi? Which ones are wired and which are wireless?

Message 16 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

The RBS are in a star configuration, with the RBR in the middle on the first floor, RBS 2 in the basement for the XBOX and RBS 1 in the 2nd floor for the corporate laptop, and the iPads and iPhones that are in use. 

It’s gone down twice in the last 2 hours. What else should I try?

thank you for all your help 

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets remove the RBS from the system for a bit. Just turn them off. See if the RBR is stable by itself...

@Kuikenj wrote:

The RBS are in a star configuration, with the RBR in the middle on the first floor, RBS 2 in the basement for the XBOX and RBS 1 in the 2nd floor for the corporate laptop, and the iPads and iPhones that are in use. 

It’s gone down twice in the last 2 hours. What else should I try?

thank you for all your help 

Message 18 of 22
Kuikenj
Aspirant

Just tried that experiment. Turned the satellites off, sat down to watch some Netflix with my son using the router only. Lasted not even 10 minutes before the router went down again

now what?

Message 19 of 22
ekhalil
Master

What type of devices do you have attached to Orbi? Which ones are wired and which are wireless?
Message 20 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Really seems like this system maybe faulty and needs to be replaced. You should see this kind of problem with just the RBR alone and fresh new FW update and out of the box. I would return the system and get another if you choose to do so. 

@Kuikenj wrote:

Just tried that experiment. Turned the satellites off, sat down to watch some Netflix with my son using the router only. Lasted not even 10 minutes before the router went down again

now what?

Message 21 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Kuikenj wrote:

Hello, 

what was your old router?

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7