Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Potential Orbi Buyers be aware: NO whitelist capability for port forwarding

wmcneil
Tutor

Potential Orbi Buyers be aware: NO whitelist capability for port forwarding

I have a Obri RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites, running the newest (v2.5.1.16) firmware.

I have a need to open ports for various reasons. To my disappointment, I realized today that my orbi router has no capability to restrict port forwarding based on a "whitelist" of allowed IPs. This is basic capability found on most home routers in the marketplace today. Shame on me for spending money and not realizing this feature was not present. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Potential Orbi Buyers be aware: NO whitelist capability for port forwarding

Your observation is correct that Orbi does not provide a method to limit connections when forwarding ports.  That appears to be left to the device that will be accepting the connections.  As far as I am aware, none of Netgear's residential routers have such a feature.  What I do to strictly limit access is set up OpenVPN so that only devices with the correct OpenVPN credentials can access my local LAN.

It would be really useful to know which residential routers feature whitelists on port forwarding.  (I keep a lists of "things to research" for when it comes time to replace my Orbi system and this would be something to keep track of.)

Message 2 of 3
wmcneil
Tutor

Re: Potential Orbi Buyers be aware: NO whitelist capability for port forwarding

VPN is a good solution unless the remote machine is already running another VPN (work machine for example) and that already existing VPN does not allow split traffic. 

Doing a quick survey, there are a good number of routers that allow you specify a single IP address to qualify port forwarding, but not so many that allow multiple IPs (whitelist).

@CrimpOn wrote:

Your observation is correct that Orbi does not provide a method to limit connections when forwarding ports.  That appears to be left to the device that will be accepting the connections.  As far as I am aware, none of Netgear's residential routers have such a feature.  What I do to strictly limit access is set up OpenVPN so that only devices with the correct OpenVPN credentials can access my local LAN.

It would be really useful to know which residential routers feature whitelists on port forwarding.  (I keep a lists of "things to research" for when it comes time to replace my Orbi system and this would be something to keep track of.)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7