× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

MarkD1944
Aspirant

Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

I got an email today from Netgear that indicates that there is a firmware update for  my router to V2.3.5.36.  I currently have V2.3.5.26.  When i go to update the router says there is no update.

 

So, I tried to manually update the firmware by downloading the update and using the 'Manual Update' option.  However, it asks me for my password again and it does not accept the password.  I have rebooted the router a few times to no avail.  Any ideas out there?? 

 

Thanks, Mark D

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
MarkD1944
Aspirant

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Just for grins I tried it againj today.  The update worked fine -- I'm updated to version .30

 

I suspect that there was something wrong with the versioning at Netgear, but really I do not care as it seems to be resolved.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 14

All Replies
echo92626
Star

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

I have the same problem in trying to update the firmware last week. It will not show in the router app nor website.

 

Yet today I get an email there is an update and still cannot update automatically update.

 

As far as a manual website option, I did manage to get the Satellite to update but never the Router.

 

Keep in mind, you'll probably have 2 passwords: one for the Router and one for your Netgear Website login, might this be the problem?

 

BTW, ANYONE AT NETGEAR ABLE TO LOOK INTO THIS??? With the 90 DAY support option, it leaves those at 6 months without the ability to get official support.

 

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

@MarkD1944 @echo92626 

You can manually download v36 from here:

 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK20.aspx#download

If you do, use a wired PC, web browser, IE11 or FF, and unpack the .zip files. Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

 

If your systems are working with out any problems, you can keep whats loaded. "if it works, don't fix it!" 

 

Message 3 of 14
MarkD1944
Aspirant

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

That is not the problem.  I was able to download the update, but when I tried to implement the 'Manual Update' the software would not allow me to get past the next username/password.  It was the correct name/password, same as that that I logged in with.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Reboot the RBR. Clear all browser caches. Exit then relaunch the browser. Try a different browser. After the RBR has rebooted, log in and go into immeditally to try to update the FW using the web browser on your wired PC. 

Message 5 of 14
MarkD1944
Aspirant

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

DId all that with same result.  I guess I'll continue with existing firmware.

 

 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Might contact a forum moderator to see if there is any information regarding this. The FW should be working and applying. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 7 of 14
echo92626
Star

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Thanks, Just sent Blanca an email.

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might contact a forum moderator to see if there is any information regarding this. The FW should be working and applying. 

@Blanca_O 


 

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20


@MarkD1944 wrote:

I got an email today from Netgear that indicates that there is a firmware update for  my router to V2.3.5.36.  I currently have V2.3.5.26.  When i go to update the router says there is no update.

 

So, I tried to manually update the firmware by downloading the update and using the 'Manual Update' option.  However, it asks me for my password again and it does not accept the password.  I have rebooted the router a few times to no avail.  Any ideas out there?? 

 

Thanks, Mark D


Why do you feel the need to update???

Message 9 of 14
MarkD1944
Aspirant

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Well, it is allegedly a security update.

 

But I should be able to update whenever a new update occurs.  

 

Mark D

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20


@MarkD1944 wrote:

Well, it is allegedly a security update.

 

But I should be able to update whenever a new update occurs.  

 

Mark D


IF it was something crtical to your system, NG would push it with no action on your part.  All others are at users risk.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Sounds good. Ya, if it's a security patch, its something that needs to be checked to ensure users can apply it. Security needs to be applied when avaiailable. Most security patches are manual updates. Let us know how it goes. 


@echo92626 wrote:

Thanks, Just sent Blanca an email.

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might contact a forum moderator to see if there is any information regarding this. The FW should be working and applying. 

@Blanca_O 


 


 

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20


@FURRYe38 wrote:

 Most security patches are manual updates. Let us know how it goes. 



not true


 

Message 13 of 14
MarkD1944
Aspirant

Re: Problem Updating FIrmware RBR20

Just for grins I tried it againj today.  The update worked fine -- I'm updated to version .30

 

I suspect that there was something wrong with the versioning at Netgear, but really I do not care as it seems to be resolved.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3087 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series