Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Product Already Registered

gary_on
Aspirant

Product Already Registered

I am trying to register a second hand Orbi RBR50 to my account so I can activate parental controls.  Unfortunately it has previously been registered and no one has replied to my emails so I don't even have a support ticket.  Hopefully the moderators can help me out.

Message 1 of 6

Re: Product Already Registered

@gary_on wrote:

I am trying to register a second hand Orbi RBR50 to my account so I can activate parental controls.  Unfortunately it has previously been registered and no one has replied to my emails so I don't even have a support ticket. 

One of the hazards of second hand kit.

Try this:

NETGEAR Product Registration FAQ | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 6
gary_on
Aspirant

Thanks for that, unfortunately there is nothing on there to deregister a product from someone else's account. I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't for the parental controls being locked behind registration.
Message 3 of 6

@gary_on wrote:
Thanks for that, unfortunately there is nothing on there to deregister a product from someone else's account. I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't for the parental controls being locked behind registration.

Did you try the email link to customer.service@netgear.com?

Which parental controls do you want to use?

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

or

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 6
gary_on
Aspirant

Yes I emailed and used the support contact form, neither of which got any reply.

I was wanting to use the Netgear Smart Parental Controls and had changed the setting on the router before realising it needed to be registered to work - it's the first time I have had a product need to be registered to use a service, especially a paid service.  Unfortunately there does not seem to be anyway to revert this as Circle did seem to work without registration.

Message 5 of 6

@gary_on wrote:

Unfortunately there does not seem to be anyway to revert this as Circle did seem to work without registration.

Any paid service needs registration of some sort. Or else they can't bill you.

Even free services need "registration" when you have to use Netgear's Cloud service as an intermediary. That requires a login process. It applied when Netgear offered the free Parental Control system that it killed a few years back. You had to go through opendns. (That was also a way onto remote management, before that too was killed on security grounds.)

If you get no response from the  Smart Parental Controls area:

NETGEAR Smart Home Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

the only other option is to find one of the Netgear team who hangs out here and send them a Private Message.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7