× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Router need dedicated 2.4 Ghz channel

RLD-rld
Follower

RBK50 Router need dedicated 2.4 Ghz channel

I'm setting up my RBK50 Router.    My security cameras requite 2.4 ghz. To my surprise I was able to set them up with little effort.  (they were able to pick out the 2.4ghz signal)... BUT, I also have some WiFi Smart plugs that also require 2.4ghz signal... Now these plugs are not playing well with my set up......... Is there a was to force a dedicated 2.4ghz channel on this router system?    Thank you..to any suggestions. 

Message 1 of 3

Re: RBK50 Router need dedicated 2.4 Ghz channel

@RLD-rld wrote:

BUT, I also have some WiFi Smart plugs that also require 2.4ghz signal... Now these plugs are not playing well with my set up......... Is there a was to force a dedicated 2.4ghz channel on this router system?   

What plugs are these? You may not be able to shut down 5 GHz, but there may be ways of getting these poorly designed plugs to play nicely.For a start , if you are using a mobile app to connect these things, work out how to disable the 5 GHz reception on that.

The problems you see are not new and are usually down to incompetent programming by the device makes. They are really the ones who should help you out. This has come up here before, but  you may not find much advice in the section given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 Router need dedicated 2.4 Ghz channel

@RLD-rld wrote:

I also have some WiFi Smart plugs that also require 2.4ghz signal... Now these plugs are not playing well with my set up

As @michaelkenward pointed out, Netgear's Orbi products use the same WiFi SSID for both 2.4G and 5G channels.  There are two primary strategies that users employ when they have issues setting up Internet of Things devices.  (By the way, all Smart Plugs have only a 2.4G WiFi radio in them.  Manufacturers have no incentive to spend even one penny on a more expensive WiFi chip when 2.4G offers more than enough bandwidth for a Smart Plug and better range than 5G.)

With the RBR50 router, the usual method is to use the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net). Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (at the bottom of the menu). Select Advanced Wireless Settings.  Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" on the 5G channel, and click on "Apply".

The Orbi will continue to broadcast the 5G channel, but will not advertise the SSID.  Devices that are already connected will remain connected.

On the smartphone, go into the network settings, "Forget" the Orbi WiFi, then select the Orbi WiFi when it comes up again and connect.  Since Orbi is broadcasting the SSID only on 2.4G, the smartphone should connect to the Orbi 2.4G channel

After performing the device setup, reverse the steps.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7