× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 - Slow speed on older devices

Caplaur
Aspirant

RBK50 - Slow speed on older devices

Hi everybody,

I have a new Orbi system (RBK50), router + 1 satellite. My home has about 2000sq ft (total on 3 levels, basement + 2 stories). Router is in basement, satellite is on 1st floor at 28-30ft distance from router. Satellite is wired to router (cat6 cable).

Wifi signal is strong everywhere in the house, my internet service is cable 100down/30up.

I have 12-13 devices connected (2 of them wired on router). Most of the wireless connected devices have good speeds (3 iPhones, 1 iPad, a laptop, a Firestick - all of them connected on 5ghz are at 95-100 down / 32-33 up). My problem is with few older devices (2 laptops and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S), all 3 of them are at half normal speed, 45-50 download. Upload speed seems ok. The 2 laptops are 2.4ghz only and Samsung tablet is 2.4/5ghz compatible. Samsung tab connects to 5ghz band but the speed is still very low,

All these 3 devices were absolutely fine with my old router (Asus RT-AC56U), with download speeds at 90-95mb almost everywhere in the house).

I know that different devices have different wifi cards with different capabilities, but why my old router was capable to communicate better than Orbi with these devices ?

I've already tried all wifi channels (now I use ch 1 on 2.4ghz and 48 on 5ghz), security WPA2-PSK [AES], Armor disabled, Circle disabled, WMM enabled, DaisyChain disabled, Implicit Beamforming enabled, MU-MIMO enabled, Fast Roaming enabled, UPnP enabled, IPv6 disabled, Traffic metter disabled.

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBK50 - Slow speed on older devices

Speed on the older items may be due to the limitations of their wireless card.

Try these settings on the Orbi

orbilogin.com

Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings

Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.
Since you've done some of these already, do the ones you haven't. 

Message 2 of 5
Caplaur
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

Speed on the older items may be due to the limitations of their wireless card.

Try these settings on the Orbi

orbilogin.com

Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings

Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.
Since you've done some of these already, do the ones you haven't. 

Thank you for your fast reply, I tried all these and still no changes.

I also manually reflashed router firmware (as suggested by Netgear tech support), reset to factory defaults, still same speed as before.

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Try forgetting the WIFI on each device, reset the network on each device by following the device's instructions on how to perform this. go into each device's WIFI settings and make sure they are set for optimum performance. 

For instance:

Reset Network Settings - Samsung Galaxy Tab S
From the Home screen, navigate: Apps icon > Settings > Backup and reset.
Tap Reset network settings.
Tap RESET SETTINGS.
If applicable, enter the PIN, password, fingerprint or pattern then tap RESET SETTINGS again to confirm.

Message 4 of 5
Caplaur
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

Try forgetting the WIFI on each device, reset the network on each device by following the device's instructions on how to perform this. go into each device's WIFI settings and make sure they are set for optimum performance. 

For instance:

Reset Network Settings - Samsung Galaxy Tab S
From the Home screen, navigate: Apps icon > Settings > Backup and reset.
Tap Reset network settings.
Tap RESET SETTINGS.
If applicable, enter the PIN, password, fingerprint or pattern then tap RESET SETTINGS again to confirm.

Thans again !

Tried this, still no luck.

Maybe a firmware issue ?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series