Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 regular latency peaks on satellite

pt79
Aspirant

RBK50 regular latency peaks on satellite

Hello

I desperately need some help as I have not been ble to solve this by reading forums.

I am experiencing latency peaks (I don't know the correct name) on devices connected to my RBK50 satellite. This gets very bad when I am following live events on Teams, where I get the stream regularly interrupted for a few seconds every 10-20-30 seconds (depends on the day).

I can say that: 

- surely it depends on the satellite, as connecting directly to the router of the internet provider via ethernet cable solves the problem

- also connecting wirelessly to the RBK50 router (RBR) solves the issue

I have done resets, power off and on, unplugged devices connected by wire to the satellite, and all these basic tricks. Nothing worked. This has been going on for weeks.

I am at the point of considering switching off the satellite for good and rely on the coverage offered by the RBR router, although this is not optimal (especially after having spent the money to create a mesh system).

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help.

Paolo

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 regular latency peaks on satellite

When the (laptop?) is connected to the Orbi router or satellite, what does the Attached Devices page show about the connection status?

specifically, is it 2.4G or 5G and is the connection "Good"?

What does Attached Devices say about the connection between satellite and router (which WiFi and status)?

Message 2 of 8
pt79
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn 

Thanks for replying.

I'll try to answer as good as I can.

The first time I noticed the issue (during an important Teams conference) I am quite sure it was on 5G.

The "Good" only refers to the connection between Satellite and Router I believe (backhaul status). And that one always shows as Good in my case.

I do not have a connection status for each device. I am talking about what I can see through orbilogin...

The connection between Satellite and Router (2.4 or 5) I forgot, as I have just connected them via ethernet cable a couple of hours ago, in order to make sure that at least my apple TV could be connected to the satellite via cable and so it would be connected to the router via cable as well. Bottom line, I can unplug and see on what connection satellite and router will connect to each other, but I am not sure it is always the same (maybe it can change?) and I am not sure what I will see now is the same connection I had earlier when I experienced the issue.

The problem is that I have tried to monitor the peaks and sometimes they are there more frequently and sometimes less, but I only notice the very bad cases when I am following something on Teams and things get very bad, which happens to be while I'm working and I cannot focus on experimenting with the issue since I am working 🙂

Message 3 of 8
pt79
Aspirant

To complement my last sentence: the only time I can really see if the issue is occurring in a very severe manner is if I am following something live without the buffering option that you always get when you watch something recorded, and I do not have so many instances in which I can test with live content.

Also, frequently my laptop connects directly to the router (RBR) and not to the satellite, in which case everything runs smoothly and I don't experience the issue.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Connecting the satellite to the router with ethernet cable will eliminate one potential factor: the WiFi backhaul link.

Does the Apple TV connected to the satellite ever experience similar problems?

Message 5 of 8
pt79
Aspirant

Yes. It is not optimal though. Thankfully, when I did renovation works, I had a few ethernet sockets installed so I do not have to run cables through the apartment but, still, these mesh systems are rather expensive and I would have hoped to be able to use them without too many physical connections...

And what bothers me is that everything was working fine for a few years.

Anyway, do I have to or should I do something to the settings after having connected satellite to router via ethernet cable or will it "understand" by itself that now data shoukd go through the cable?

Regarding the Apple TV: well, the issue is similar to what I mentioned above: everything you stream from the Apple TV has buffer, so I do not notice because, aside from the peaks, the connection is good and fast, so I guess that allows the Apple TV to load enough content to compensate the letancy peaks when they come.

Only once or twice in the past few weeks I actually had the show I was watching freeze for a few seconds. I do think it was connected to this issue. But once it restarted it went fine.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

There is no setting required to manage the Orbi backhaul link.  There is a function that wakes up at regular intervals to scan for which backhaul link is 'best'.  When it detects a 1G ethernet connection, it switches automatically.  If that link disappears, it switches back automatically.

With the problem appearing after a long period of 'no problem', it is tempting to think that there is a new 5G WiFi device somewhere close that affects the WiFi link between laptop and satellite, but is far enough away from the router to have no effect.  Connecting the laptop to satellite with ethernet cable would be a good test for that hypothesis.

Message 7 of 8
pt79
Aspirant

Thanks

Ok, I ill try next week with my work laptop and me connected to the same work network I have been using when the worst incidents have occurred.

And I will let you know. But the problem is that I have seen the very bad peaks when I was actually following something on Teams. I don't know when I will be able to test that again properly.

But I connot think of any new device in the house that could have made this happen.

If you get any other idea, please let me know.

I will report to you any findings I might have

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7