× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 VPN and torrents

AP81
Aspirant

RBR20 VPN and torrents

So got this all setup. works exceptionally, except....

When I fire up a VPN service (NordVPN) torrents cease to work at all.  Is there any workaround for this?  Pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
AP81
Aspirant

Re: RBR20 VPN and torrents

Alrighty... got it working.

1) Changed my IP to manual and set it as 192.168.1.15 (just randomly chose 15).

2) Set up a custom port forward service (Advanced > Port Fowarding/Triggering > Add Service) for my IP with the following settings (I used the ports defined in my bitorrent client).

Service User: Single Address
IP:192.168.1.15
Service Type: TCP
Triggering Port: 11886
Connection Type: TCP/UDP
Starting Port: 11886
Ending Port: 11886

The disappointing part was I talked to client services and the expert told me port forwarding would not fix my issue and that there was nothing that can be done.  But here we are- some blood, sweat and tears later and I figured it out myself.

On another note, my Roku Express was struggling to connect to Orbi as well (slow and laggy).  I created a guest network and it works well now.  I figure the Roku box does't like 5Ghz, and is now working well on the dedicated 2.4Ghz guest network.

Hopefully the above helps someone else.  I was ready to return it.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@AP81 wrote:

When I fire up a VPN service (NordVPN) torrents cease to work at all.  Is there any workaround for this?  Pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

This seems like a question to ask NordVPN.  Orbi does not support NordVPN "client" software (where every device on the local LAN is routed through NordVPN). So, NordVPN must be running on an individual computer.  When software is running on a computer, the Orbi router is entirely unaware of it.  It is just "packets in.. packets out."  They are all encrypted, so Orbi could not examine them if it wanted to.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 9
AP81
Aspirant

Yep, it's only running locally on a mac.

Turn off NordVPN and torrents start working.  Not sure what the solution is, as a I have a couple of different routers, none of which have this issue.  All I can think off is to put the Orbi into AP mode and plug it into my old router. 

I'll have a play around, but if I can't get this to work will return the Orbi and get something else.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@AP81 wrote:

So got this all setup. works exceptionally, except....

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

In addition to which firmware release is on the Orbi RBR20 router, can you confirm whether either of these optional packages are in use:

• Bitdefencer Armor
  • Disney Circle

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
AP81
Aspirant

Firmware: 2.5.1.16, which is current latest.

Router is plugged directly into NBN box.  Given I have 100% connectivity on all devices, I don't think the NBN box has anything to do with this. I also unplugged the entire Orbi setup (router, sattelites) and plugged my old TP Link router in and torrents work.

Security (Armour) is disabled.

Disney Circle?  Can't see it anywhere, so I assume it's not enabled.

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I am stumped.  Activating VPN on a LAN device should open an encrypted tunnel through the entire internet to the VPN host, in this case one of the NordVPN servers which supports P2P file sharing.  The tunnel goes through every router in the path, including the local router attached to the ISP modem.  I cannot come up with a rationale which would explain torrents working through VPN with one router and not another.  It's good that you can return it.

Message 7 of 9
AP81
Aspirant

Yep, can't figure it out.

Have spent a few hours trying every configuration option.  

Likely will just return it and get something else.  Shame.

Message 8 of 9
AP81
Aspirant

Alrighty... got it working.

1) Changed my IP to manual and set it as 192.168.1.15 (just randomly chose 15).

2) Set up a custom port forward service (Advanced > Port Fowarding/Triggering > Add Service) for my IP with the following settings (I used the ports defined in my bitorrent client).

Service User: Single Address
IP:192.168.1.15
Service Type: TCP
Triggering Port: 11886
Connection Type: TCP/UDP
Starting Port: 11886
Ending Port: 11886

The disappointing part was I talked to client services and the expert told me port forwarding would not fix my issue and that there was nothing that can be done.  But here we are- some blood, sweat and tears later and I figured it out myself.

On another note, my Roku Express was struggling to connect to Orbi as well (slow and laggy).  I created a guest network and it works well now.  I figure the Roku box does't like 5Ghz, and is now working well on the dedicated 2.4Ghz guest network.

Hopefully the above helps someone else.  I was ready to return it.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7