Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 on NBN Fttp without isp modem

Latchland
Aspirant

RBR20 on NBN Fttp without isp modem

Hi all

I currently have an Orbi RBR20 and one satellite connected and working. I'm wanting to remove the isp modem router from the equation and run the orbi alone so that all devices use it rather than a mix between 2 wifi signals. I know I'll have to set up devices again anyway and can probably turn of the wifi functionality on the isp router but I want to streamline the hardware a bit.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run the cable direct from the nbn modem on the wall (where the optic cable comes in from outside) to the orbi RBR20? If so what settings should I be looking at changing / setting up to achieve this.
Thank you all in advance.
L
Message 1 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 on NBN Fttp without isp modem

@Latchland wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run the cable direct from the nbn modem on the wall (where the optic cable comes in from outside) to the orbi RBR20? If so what settings should I be looking at changing / setting up to achieve this.

While we wait for an Orbi owner in Australia to notice this post, my guess is, "Yes. You can connect the Orbi directly to the nbn modem on the wall and remove any WiFi router that was provided to you."  The most straight-forward way to do this is to call the ISP and tell them, "I plan to connect my WiFi router to the nbn modem.  How do I do this and how do I return the WiFi router you provided to you?"

Message 2 of 18

I don't understand. You say:

@Latchland wrote:

I'm wanting to remove the isp modem router from the equation and run the orbi alone

Then you say:

@Latchland wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run the cable direct from the nbn modem on the wall (where the optic cable comes in from outside) to the orbi RBR20?

How would it remove the isp ,modem/router if you "run the cable direct from the nbn modem on the wall ... to the orbi RBR20".

Is this "modem on the wall" different from "the isp modem router"? You won't have two modems in there. Does the second one have a make and model number? Is it really a modem/router or just a router?

Truly optical networks have an "ONT" (optical network termination/terminal) rather than a modem. So, if that is what you have, maybe you don't have any modems.

Do you have a laptop with a wired LAN connection?

Can you plug that into the "modem on the wall" and get on to the Internet?

If so, that answers your question.

Message 3 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

Yes by modem on the wall I mean the ONT (sorry, didn't know the correct term). Which currently has a ethernet cable coming from it (UNI-D 2 port) to the isp modem/router. Then from the isp modem/router (Archer VR1600v) to the orbi. I'm wanting to remove the isp modem from the connections to run direct to the orbi from the ONT.

Message 4 of 18

@Latchland wrote:

Yes by modem on the wall I mean the ONT (sorry, didn't know the correct term).

Why should we have to deal with stuff like ONT? They do it to confuse us.

If you have something like a PC that you can plug into it, no harm in trying.

@Latchland wrote:

Then from the isp modem/router (Archer VR1600v) to the orbi.

The Archer is labelled as a DSL Modem Router. That does not mean that it has to be used as a modem.It can also be a plain router.

Do you plug the Orbi into the blue socket on the back? If so, it is just a router. You can leave the VR1600v to gather dust on a shelf. I would. Just put it aside for future use when something goes wrong with the Orbi.

Unless you have a phone plugged into the Archer, in which case it may be doing VoIP (don't worry about what that means) stuff.

If shelving the Archer doesn't work, the Orbi can work in AP mode. But come back if you can't retire the Archer.

Message 5 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have an RBR20 on nbn FttP with Aussie Broadband. It works fine. Aussie Broadband don't require a VLAN on the WAN port. Your ISP may. The ORBI supports this, but I can't comment on how to configure it. Someone on forums.whirlpool.net.au would be able to assist with questions about specific ISP configuration on the Orbi.

RBR20 running V2.5.1.16 firmware. It also worked with V2.3.5.38 firmware which I upgraded from a couple of days ago.

Message 6 of 18

@Retired_Member wrote:

Aussie Broadband don't require a VLAN on the WAN port. Your ISP may.

Blimey. That's a wrinkle too far for me.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Someone on forums.whirlpool.net.au would be able to assist with questions about specific ISP configuration on the Orbi.

Great suggestion. Victims of NBN turn up here all the time. Is that the place to send them?

Message 7 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, the Whirlpool forums are a good place to send folks for Oz ISP advice. Apart from issues with particular nbn access technologies, some individual ISPs have nuances in their configuration requirements.

A number of ISPs down here require VLAN configuration on the WAN. The TPG group ISPs for example. This leads to gotchas with certain modem routers for example (not Orbi)

Because my ISP doesn't use VLANs and does DHCP, it was just a case of plugging in the ORBI (with default config) to the ONT and it was up in a couple of minutes. I've also used a TP-Link Archer C7 with both stock and Openwrt firmware with same result.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

An example of how confusing it can be down here

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9lnqyy09

Latchland - the Orbi should be fine once you confirm the ISP configuration details.

Message 9 of 18

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yes, the Whirlpool forums are a good place to send folks for Oz ISP advice. Apart from issues with particular nbn access technologies, some individual ISPs have nuances in their configuration requirements.

Great. We see a lot of people here and it is impossible to grapple with all of those Oz ISPs. Now we can aim them at Whirlpool.

Netgear does not help in its advice on NBN.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Netgear lists all manner of things as being "compatible" with NBN in that article. In reality this often means that devices sold as modem/routers will work as a router. Depending on the ISP, you have to bypass the modem bit and use something else as a modem.

It is a pity that Netgear does not make that clearer in its advice to NBN users. It might prevent people from wasting money on an incompatible modem router. They would be better off buying a simple router and using whatever modem their ISP provides, or buying one suitable for their Internet service.

Message 10 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

Thanks for the info!

Message 11 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

I will just have to remove the Archer and plug the ONT direct to the Orbi and see what happens. Now, to find a time where the fam isn't using the internet....

Cheers for the info

Message 12 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

I'll just give it a shot when the fam can do without the internet for a bit. But if i run into dramas i will head to whirlpool. Cheers

Message 13 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

Sounds promising. I guess giving it a try wont hurt. Worse comes to worst, I will put the isp modem back in the mix and research further. Either that or contact TPG and see if they can give me some direction (last resort). Cheers

Message 14 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

I'll head to whirlpool and see if i can get some answers from someone that has the same setup as i'm wanting. Cheers

Message 15 of 18
Latchland
Aspirant

Off to Whirlpool I go. It is odd that Netgear doesn't suggest this type of setup initially as it seems to be a lot easier and cleaner than piggy-backing on the isp modem/router. Everything I read says i need to plug in my isp modem to the orbi. Maybe that is for fibre connections that terminate outside the house, not inside like mine. Cheers for the info

Message 16 of 18

@Latchland wrote:

It is odd that Netgear doesn't suggest this type of setup initially as it seems to be a lot easier and cleaner than piggy-backing on the isp modem/router. Everything I read says i need to plug in my isp modem to the orbi. Maybe that is for fibre connections that terminate outside the house, not inside like mine.

It is not for Netgear to suggest that. Your ISP needs tro explain what you need. Netgear has no idea what ISPs get up to.

A router just needs an Ethernet service. It doesn't matter what provides it. Modem. Cable. String.

I don't know what you have been reading, but the manuals for most Netgear devices have a section on how to connect to a cable or optical service.

Message 17 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Latchland wrote:

Off to Whirlpool I go. It is odd that Netgear doesn't suggest this type of setup initially as it seems to be a lot easier and cleaner than piggy-backing on the isp modem/router. Everything I read says i need to plug in my isp modem to the orbi. Maybe that is for fibre connections that terminate outside the house, not inside like mine. Cheers for the info

I should have asked this earlier. Who is your ISP?

It's not surprising folks get confused. The terms modem and router are aften mixed up in documentation and general usage to refer generically to the box you own or the ISP has supplied on your behalf. Modems are only applicable to services over copper. FttP is easy in this respect because there's no modem function and router only devices such as the Orbi should work by plugging them into the active ONT data port, subject to getting the correct ISP settings for the Orbi WAN interface.

Note that even with correct settings you may have to wait for the DHCP lease for your current router to release. This can take 30 minutes or so. Or your ISP will probably offer a facility to release leases in a portal toolbox if you want to avoid the wait.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7