Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/2 satellites - fast internet speed, slow wifi

erkinfl
Aspirant

RBR50/2 satellites - fast internet speed, slow wifi

I have an RBR50 with two RBS50 satellites. FW version on all is 2.7.3.22. My router is a Netgear CM1000. In the Orbi app, it reports my internet download speed as 360Mbps. But in my phone, Speedtest reports I'm only getting ~20Mpbs downloads, and I've been having sporadic connection issues for weeks. I've tried resetting the satellites. Kind of at my wits end here because I'd love to blame Comcast but I don't think I can. Any ideas? FWIW, this setup used to work flawlessly - I'm gonna say it's been problematic going on a month now.

EDIT - saw similar posts AFTER I posted this. Seems I'm not the only one. Might have to try downgrading the firmware. Has anyone figured out which is a good version to revert to?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50/2 satellites - fast internet speed, slow wifi

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 9
erkinfl
Aspirant

Home size: 1530 sq ft. 1st satellite is ~35 ft. from router with two walls between. Second satellite is in separate garage, ~80 ft away? That was a wild guess. But as I mentioned, this setup has worked flawlessly for several years.

I'll take a look at the other options you've suggested, thx!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset maybe needed as well...

Message 4 of 9
erkinfl
Aspirant

So far I have tried the following:

• Factory reset router and both satellites
  • Deleted all settings on iOs app
  • Ran through steps on iOs app to set up the router (no satellites)
  • Changed router settings to:
    • Enable daisy-chain topology: off
    • Enable 20/40  MHZ coexistence: off
    • Enable implicit beam-forming: on
  • Verified that router has latest firmware
  • Added one satellite
  • Verified that the satellite has latest firmware
  • Turned off first satellite
  • Added second satellite
  • Verified that the satellite has latest firmware

As both satellites eventually seemed to be connecting, I moved one to its normal location, about 40' away in a different room. I then turned on both satellites and ran sync from the router again.

No matter where I position the satellites, after multiple attempts at syncing, one of them always reports its backhaul status as "Config Sync". 

Any more suggestions?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

First wirelessly sync the RBS while in same room as the RBR or near the RBR, say 10-15 feet. Once ALL RBS are synced and report GOOD status, turn OFF the place in remote locations. The farthest one maybe a bit too far. IF your Diasy chaining the RBS, turn on the nearest RBS to the RBR, let it fully turn BLUE then turn OFF, then turn ON the farthest RBS. I would keep the distance in between these two RBS about 25-30 feet. Ensure Daisy Chain is enabled on the RBR first. 

Message 6 of 9
erkinfl
Aspirant

@FURRYe38I just found out that you can log on to the satellites separately. One satellite logs on quickly, but the problem child takes a long time to connect. Once it does, I see that the happy satellite has only connected to 5G, but the problem child has connected to both 2.4G AND 5G. Could this be the problem? If so, is there a recommended fix? Just try to reset that satellite yet again?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try a reset. What you might try as well, re-sync the 2nd RBS while in same room as the RBR. Onces it setup. Power off both RBS. Put the 2nd RBS in place if the first RBS, and take the 1st RBS and put it in place where the 2nd RBS would be...see what happens...

Message 8 of 9
erkinfl
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  Well, I've given up... after the fourth time resetting the entire system, it looks to me like this satellite is toast... when setting up as new satellite, it never gets to solid white like my other one, and I am not able to log on to it either. Have ordered a refurb from ebay... my time is worth something at this point. Thx for your help though.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7