Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - How do I force my cell phone to connect at 2.4GHz

cooljet
Aspirant

RBR50 - How do I force my cell phone to connect at 2.4GHz

I bought wifi bulbs and downloaded related application on cell phone. The basic requirement for vendor's app that cell phone need to connected on 2.4GHz but my phone is always connected on 5.2GHz. How do I force my cell phone to switch to 2.4GHz so that I can search for these wifi bulbs?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 - How do I force my cell phone to connect at 2.4GHz

There are a couple of options:

1. Try the app first.  When apps are written correctly, the smartphone can connect to the WiFi bulb @ 2.4G and tell the bulb the SSID and password of the Orbi.  I personally did this with three brands of "smart plug" with no problems (not bulbs, but still IoT devices).
  2. If the phone really has to be connected to Orbi at 2.4G, you simply make 5G unavailable for a short time:
    First, turn off "Broadcast SSID" on the 5G band.
    Second, disconnect and reconnect the smartphone.  The 5G is not broadcasting SSID, so the phone has to connect to the 2.4G network.
    Third, go through the setup procedure at 2.4G.
    Finally, check the "Broadcast SSID" on Orbi and reconnect the phone at 5G.

Please report how it goes.  It would be useful to know which brand of WiFi bulb this is.

Message 2 of 13

@cooljet wrote:

How do I force my cell phone to switch to 2.4GHz so that I can search for these wifi bulbs?

Why does your phone have to be on 2.4 GHz to find these bulbs?

Message 3 of 13
cooljet
Aspirant

Not sure why I have to be in 2.4Hz but that requirement from Wiz bulbs software to search for bulbs.

Message 4 of 13
cooljet
Aspirant

I don't think on Orbi we have option to choose SSID between 2.4Hz and 5.2Ghz. The system or unit itself decides the connection. 

Regards

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Have you tried the first response (above)?  i.e. stop broadcasting the 5G SSID and reconnect the phone?

Message 6 of 13
cooljet
Aspirant

I did login in router admin. I don't see option for 2 channels like 2.4 and 5.2GHz. The only option avaliable is 5.2GHz and If I turn thatt off, I wouldn't have internet connection. Advance settings on router admin, I don't see any option on two channel transmission specially Orbi. I know that router likes NightHawk etc has option on 2 channel tramsmission but not on Orbi.

Maybe if you help on specific steps on Orbi admin, I can try again.

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

On the Orbi Administrative web site, select the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings.  There is one section for 2.4G and one section for 5G.  On the 5G section, unclick "Enable SSID Broadcast", which means "do not broadcast a WiFi name on 5G."  When a device looks for possible connections, the only connection broadcasting the Orbi WiFi SSID will be 2.4G.

Message 8 of 13
Monti9901
Aspirant

The easiest thing you can do is turn the 5ghz power  to 25%, so 2.4ghz will take over, that's how I solved an issue with a Sonoff adapter I had.

Message 9 of 13

Or move out of range of the 5 GHz wifi?

2.4 GHz reaches further.

Message 10 of 13
cooljet
Aspirant

I need to be within the range of wifi bulb so that cell phone can search for it. 

Thank you

Message 11 of 13
cooljet
Aspirant

Thank you very much. See advance setting options and not sure how to turn off 5.2Ghz from here. Obri does not give of two options.

Regards

Message 12 of 13
cooljet
Aspirant

I'm sorry. I see the option under Advance Tab and Advance Setting. This should work.

Thank you for your help

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7