Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Questions

DY65
Aspirant

RBR50 Questions

I have had the RBR50 for a couple years and have had no problems.

Recently I have been losing wifi many times per day. Firmware is V2.7.4.24. Internet provider is Spectrum.

I have good internet over ethernet. but wireless devices drop randomly during the day.

I logged on to http://orbilogin.net and noticed my logs were full of DOS attacks. Today Feb 14th there are over 50. Is this my issue? If so how do I solve this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 Questions

Those "Denial of Service (DOS) Attacks" are almost certainly not the cause.  Everybody gets those, every day.  I email the Orbi log to myself every time it fills.  In the month of January, there were 1,097 "DOS Attacks" in the log.  So far this January 387.  The high was Aug 2021 with 1,871 in 31 days.

If these events were going to affect the router, they would affect every device on the network.

I am using the same RBR50 router with the same firmware, v2.7.4.24 - which has been on the router since May 23 of last year.

When devices on WiFi "drop", does the connection come back "by itself", or do you do something to the router?

Message 2 of 10

@DY65 wrote:

Recently I have been losing wifi many times per day. Firmware is V2.7.4.24. Internet provider is Spectrum.

I have good internet over ethernet. but wireless devices drop randomly during the day.

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 3 of 10
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello DY65,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having multiple disconnects with your RBR50. Have you tried placing your RBR50 in AP mode or your ISP router in bridge mode to resolve this issue?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 10
DY65
Aspirant

The modem is a Motorola SB6141.

No I do not have not do anything, it just comes back. It is intermittent and frustrating. This morning for example I was on my iPad and noticed it slowing down. Slowing down to the point that it stops loading photos or freezes a video while browsing Instagram.

I ran speedtest and got long ping (several 100ms) and then really low Mbps (3 - 8 Mbps). 30 seconds later it could be 20Mbps or even as high as 118Mbps. This is all from the same location (about 30 feet away from my RBR50 Satellite on the same floor, wooden construction home). See photo. iPad on the left windows computer on the right.

At the same time I am running speedtest on my desktop that is connected directly to the Motorola SB6141. With that I am getting low ping and download speeds of about 117 Mbps.

Could it be interference from a neighbor?  2.4GHz is set to auto and 5GHz to 48. It has worked well for a couple of years but lately not so good.

Message 5 of 10
DY65
Aspirant

I wish I understood what AP mode meant, but from what I understand does that apply to me since my router does not broadcast a wifi signal?

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@DY65 wrote:

The modem is a Motorola SB6141.

Yes. This is "just a modem".  The Orbi must remain in "router mode".

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@DY65 wrote:

At the same time I am running speedtest on my desktop that is connected directly to the Motorola SB6141. With that I am getting low ping and download speeds of about 117 Mbps.

Could it be interference from a neighbor?  2.4GHz is set to auto and 5GHz to 48. It has worked well for a couple of years but lately not so good.

Thanks for attaching the picture.  It is not clear to me how the iPad could perform a Speed Test at 7:37AM using the Orbi and the computer also could perform a Speed Test at 7:37AM.  The modem has only one Ethernet port. Either the Orbi router or the computer can be connected, but not both at the same time.

The 2.4G WiFi channel setting is probably not relevant. I would expect the iPad to connect to the Orbi on the 5G channel, even at 30ft.  (This is something that can be checked on the Orbi app or the Orbi web management interface.)

Message 8 of 10
DY65
Aspirant

Yes, good catch. I also have a Netgear GS608 switch. That's why I can run the test at the same time.

The ethernet cable goes straight from the Motorola 6141 to the Orbi, then goes to the switch.  I actually don't know why it is wired that way but it ran great for years.

I don't know what has changed to give me these wireless issues?

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for explaining where the switch is located.

This experiment demonstrates clearly

• The ISP is delivering at least 118Mbps, which
  • The Orbi is delivering at least 118 Mbps to a computer hard wired to the router through a switch.

The issue appears to be with the iPad.

Are there any other WiFi devices that exhibit the same problem?

Has everything been rebooted?  (not Factory Reset, just turned off and back on - including the iPad)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7