Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Satellite disconnects from router when using Ethernet port

Sponting81
Aspirant

RBR50 Satellite disconnects from router when using Ethernet port

Satellite disconnects when you connect a wired device via ethernet.
I have a frustrating problem with my Orbi network.  RBR50 + 2 satellites.  I have the router in the hallway a satellite in the kitchen and a satellite on the landing providing coverage across my L shaped house.
The problem is the TV and Sky box can only get a weak signal from either of the devices due to celcon blocks in the internal walls.  My solution is to use a powerline adapter from one of the satellites to the Sky TV box.  However everytime I connect the powerline adapter to the satellite the satellite drops the backhaul wifi connection and thinks it's on a wired backhaul. That satellite then becomes useless.
Does anyone have a suggestion to stop the satellite assuming i'm trying to use a wired backhaul connection just because i've plugged something into it?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: RBR50 Satellite disconnects from router when using Ethernet port

Great question (I don't have the answer)! No idea why the satellite drops the wireless backhaul when it senses a wired Powerline connection.

I use Powerline connected to an Ethernet port of my Orbi base unit (router) and a corresponding Powerline in another part of the house.  That works fine.  That may work for you, if the electric wiring of the house doesn't have that many hops between your router and the TV location

You should also post in the forum for Powerline devicesm in case someone there can answer your Q.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Powerline-Networking/bd-p/home-powerline

Message 2 of 13
Sponting81
Aspirant

Thanks for the response @alokeprasad I'm using the powerline connected to the router now, but it's on a separate circuit to the TV and Sky so the performance isn't great.  The disconnection of the wi-fi backhaul isn't just when using the powerline, it's any wired device.  It does the same with the Sonos, the printer and even my laptop.  It's weird.

Message 3 of 13
alokeprasad
Mentor

That's strange indeed.  I'll try a wired laptop connection to my satellite and see if I see something similar.

What you are seeing is certainly not normal.  Hopefully others here will have some insight.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 5 of 13
vajim
Master

Any neighbors?

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sponting81 wrote:

However everytime I connect the powerline adapter to the satellite the satellite drops the backhaul wifi connection and thinks it's on a wired backhaul. That satellite then becomes useless.

Can you please explain the conclusion "thinks it's on a wired backhaul"?  The router shows it as "disconnected", not "wifi" and not "wired", so by deduction, "what else could it be besides wired?"

I agree this is just plain goofy that connecting any ethernet device makes the WiFi backhaul drop.  I didn't see in the posts if this satellite has been Factory Reset and resync'd with the router.

Message 7 of 13
Sponting81
Aspirant

It will be interesting to see if you can reproduce the issue. I appreciate you replying.
Message 8 of 13
Sponting81
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. The distance isn’t huge between them, Router to satellite 1 is circa 35ft and router to Satellite 2 is about 20ft. I realise this sounds close, however the construction of the property is such that the loss through the solid internal walls is high. To give you an idea of that stood in front of the router my speed tests at 866mbps, the other side of the wall it tests at ~280-320mbps.

Firmware is 2.5.2.4
Message 9 of 13
Sponting81
Aspirant

Not within Wi-Fi range, if I scan for networks only mine is visible inside the property.
Message 10 of 13
Sponting81
Aspirant

Thanks for replying @CrimpOn
Yes the router and satellites have been factory reset and I have removed the satellites and re-sync’d them.
To explain what I mean - when I connect a wired device the backhaul connection changes from wireless to wired. In doing so the connection to the router is dropped as is the internet connection for that satellite and the device connected to it. That’s what I mean by disconnected.

In the picture you see the dashed line indicating a wireless connection between the router and the satellite. When I connect the wired Poweline adapter or any other device that changes to a solid line.
Message 11 of 13
alokeprasad
Mentor

I tested by connecting a laptop to my satellite's ethernet port.

Everything worked as expected.  The laptop switched to wired connection (it uses WiFi normally), the satellite was functional and the line (in the Orbi app Network diagram) connecting it to the router remained dashed.

Maybe connecting a Powerline adapter to the ethernet port is confusing the satellite for some reason, switching it to a (non-functional) wired backhaul?  You said that this happens when connecting ANY wired device .. so I'm grasping at straws here.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close for RBS 2. 30 feet or more...

@Sponting81 wrote:
Thanks for replying. The distance isn’t huge between them, Router to satellite 1 is circa 35ft and router to Satellite 2 is about 20ft. I realise this sounds close, however the construction of the property is such that the loss through the solid internal walls is high. To give you an idea of that stood in front of the router my speed tests at 866mbps, the other side of the wall it tests at ~280-320mbps.

Firmware is 2.5.2.4

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7