× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 settings change for faster internet?

nroberts7984
Aspirant

RBR50 settings change for faster internet?

Hey y'all,

I just upgraded my internet service with my ISP from 1 Gbps to 2 Gbps. My issue is that when the tech checked the speed on his device it was pulling the full 2 gig service but my RBR50 is only showing the 1 gig service. According to the specs I saw, it showed that this router can handle up to 3 and the tech believes it is just a setting adjustment that is needed. Can anyone give me some insight on what I need to change please?

Currently on firmware V2.7.4.24

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 settings change for faster internet?

So the speeds mentioned for 3Gb is a combined max total connection rate that is supported by the wifi in combination with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Since the ethernet ports are limited by the max rate of 1Gb, WAN and LAN, you'll only see around 900Mpbs from these ports. 

If you want to see 2Gb from the ISP, you'll need a different Orbi system that has higher connection rated WAN and LAN ethernet ports, i.e. Orbi 960 or 970 series or the Nighthawk RS series routers which are not MESH routers. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

So the speeds mentioned for 3Gb is a combined max total connection rate that is supported by the wifi in combination with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Since the ethernet ports are limited by the max rate of 1Gb, WAN and LAN, you'll only see around 900Mpbs from these ports. 

If you want to see 2Gb from the ISP, you'll need a different Orbi system that has higher connection rated WAN and LAN ethernet ports, i.e. Orbi 960 or 970 series or the Nighthawk RS series routers which are not MESH routers. 

Message 2 of 4
nroberts7984
Aspirant

Gotcha, thank you. That's what I was afraid of

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series