× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 - Cannot Ping Synology From Almost All PC's on Same Network

JoeCole
Aspirant

RBS50 - Cannot Ping Synology From Almost All PC's on Same Network

I have had this issue for a while but it has just annoyed me enough to ask.  I have 1 RBS50 and 3 Satellite RBK50. The Synology is plugged into the router and I setup a static IP for it and also made the reservation on the router (I removed this reservation just to test and no change).  Everything works fine for a while then it seems like when a power hit happens (not always the case but does seem to be the most notable event) and the devices drop then come back I will then lose any connectivity to the Synology.  Here is the part why I believe this issue is with Orbi, when I have my laptop plugged directly into the router the Synology is in I can reach the device fine, its only on wifi or when wired connection to satellites (satellites are wifi backhaul) that can no longer reach the device. Trace route gives me nothing, also using the external domain name setup for it works fine so its able to route traffic out externally and come back in which also works fine but the internal routing of the IP is just dead outside being plugged into the same router as it.

The only way to fix it is to unplug all devices and power them all on at the same time.  If I do one at a time the issue stays, if I tell the router to reboot on its own the problem stays.  I have had this issue for about 3 years now.  It is the only device that is unreachable as well.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?  I have a feeling its a bug and I doubt it would even be fixed but I just thought it was worth a shot asking.

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 - Cannot Ping Synology From Almost All PC's on Same Network

@JoeCole wrote:

The Synology is plugged into the router and I setup a static IP for it and also made the reservation on the router (I removed this reservation just to test and no change).

Just a thought: is the static IP set up on the NAS within the router DHCP "pool" of IP addresses?  When there is a power outage and devices power up and do DHCP requests, routers respond in the order that DHCP requests arrive.  There is nothing inherently wrong with using static IPs.  Personally, I prefer to do that in the router LAN Setup IP Assignment table so that I don't have to keep track of which IPs have been "used" by which device.

Are there any switches in the network?

Message 2 of 5
JoeCole
Aspirant

It is, I let it get the IP when I first set it up on the network and just made it static after.  I will try shortening the range by 5 and setting it up outside the range and see.

Message 3 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@JoeCole wrote:

Here is the part why I believe this issue is with Orbi, when I have my laptop plugged directly into the router the Synology is in I can reach the device fine, its only on wifi or when wired connection to satellites (satellites are wifi backhaul) that can no longer reach the device.

Can you confirm for us the IP address of the Synology and the IP address of the laptop where you are pinging from.  They should be on the same subnet, e.g., both 192.168.1.##.

If you can't ping from one IP to another over wifi or wired to satellite, then are you also unable to ping other 192.168.1.## devices on the same Orbi network?  Or is it only the Synology device that is unpingable?

If only the Synology is unpingable then is there a firewall of some sort running on it?  If not just the Synology then there may be class of Orbi network devices you cannot reach (e.g., from the satellite you can't ping any devices connected to a different satellite).  Understanding the nature of this network partitioning may help use trace the issue.  This doesn't seem like a DNS issue if you cannot ping by IP address.

Message 4 of 5
JoeCole
Aspirant

So I just set the DHCP scope to 192.168.1.21-254 which seemed to trigger a full on reboot of everything.  Once everything came back up the IP address is now working again.  Sadly I think it had more to do with all the devices rebooting then the change but I guess I will not know until later on.  Could take some time to find out.

As for the last post, nothing special just the basic out of the box setup for the network. 192.168.1.1-255 with the DHCP range just being altered to start at 21-254 and yes all devices reside on the same subnet and all setup with default gateway 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Everything else pings fine from anywhere else on the network.  I do have a Pihole setup for DNS but this was setup previous to this starting plus I have disabled it as well as point my devices DNS to another server when testing just to see, plus IP is just not pingable either so really shouldnt be DNS related.

No firewall, just using the Synology firewall rules to block some stuff by geolocation but I also specifically whitelisted my internal network just in case but had no change.  Also using the external domain name to hit it works fine so sending traffic outside my network then back in works, just the internal routing gets weird.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Just an FYI I have been a sys admin for the last 15 years now.  I have never seen something like this though which is why its so frustrating haha.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7