Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Magenta ring displayed temporarily during cold start with v2.3.1.x firmware

gr8sho
Virtuoso

RBS50 Magenta ring displayed temporarily during cold start with v2.3.1.x firmware

The following describes something I believe is working as designed.  Looking for confirmation. 

I've noticed on at least two different occasions the RBS50 will display magenta ring while it's initializing after a cold start (plugging in the box to AC power).  The bootup process is fairly lengthy to begin with, and towards the end of it, the LED ring will display magenta, and then after about another minute will turn blue indicating the bootup process has completed. 

On one of the initializations, I was looking at the web GUI attached devices screen and spotted Config Sync was indicated for status.  Eventually it changed to Good at the same time the ring turned blue. 

It's a bit alarmng to see the magenta ring and given the amount of time it takes for config sync to complete, it's easy to believe the bootup failed. 

So again, is this the way the product behaves cold starting a satellite?  If the answer is yes, a better visual indication to distinguish between a temporary condition and a failed state condition would be in order.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Magenta ring displayed temporarily during cold start with v2.3.1.x firmware

I saw this as well when setting up a RBR and RBS50 system. I was concerned at first however I waited and then the BLUE led appeared. 

I presume it's nothing to be overly concerned about. As long as you get the BLUE led and it eventually turns off, you'll be fine. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 Magenta ring displayed temporarily during cold start with v2.3.1.x firmware

@gr8sho wrote:

I've noticed on at least two different occasions the RBS50 will display magenta ring while it's initializing after a cold start (plugging in the box to AC power).  The bootup process is fairly lengthy to begin with, and towards the end of it, the LED ring will display magenta, and then after about another minute will turn blue indicating the bootup process has completed. 

Netgear's description of the Orbi LED and Ring colors (https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean ) seems to indicate that turning magenta for at least a short time is normal before it turns blue for 10 seconds, and then goes off.

Message 3 of 4
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Yeah, but it seems the scenario could handled better. For instance, if a config sync is needed, do it while the device is still initializing and suppress the error state indicator until the routine completes. I can easily see people giving up when they see the ring putting them back at square one.
In the example I provided, I believe the reset was successful because the second reboot did not go through the magenta state.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7