Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Router not available for firmware update

jsauger
Tutor

RBS50 Router not available for firmware update

Hi, 

I was able to update my RBS50 Satellite manually (firmware v2.7.4.24) but the Router (firmware v2.7.3.22) will not update automatically and the device does not show up in the table of available devices in Advanced>Firmware Update>Manual Update

Any thoughts as to why the Router isn't available for update or how to access it another way to apply toe updated firmware?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBS50 Router not available for firmware update

Hi jsauger,

Updating the RBR50 is a little different than updating the RBS50. To update the satellite you need to first select it in the manual update tab. To update the RBR50 no selection is necessary. Just select the browse button and select the appropriate firmware option. 

I included steps below to assist you in manually updating your router:

To update the firmware on your Orbi router, do the following:

1. Return to http://orbilogin.com.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  2. Go back to the Firmware Update page:
    1. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update.
    2. Click the Manual Update tab.
    3. Click the Browse button, then locate and select the file that ends in .img on your desktop.
      Be careful not to select the wrong file.
    4. Click the UPLOAD button to upload the firmware file.
      It takes a few minutes to finish the process.
      The page adjusts.
    5. Click the YES button to continue.
    6. After the Orbi router finishes updating, double-check the firmware version in the upper-right corner.
      The firmware on your Orbi router is updated.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

This build may not be available on the auto update services as we seen issue with that service before. So manually updating is preferred and mentioned here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-4-24-Released/td-p/221345...

Message 2 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jsauger,

I understand that you are having trouble updating your RBR50. The automatic update is not showing for your RBR50 because new firmware updates are pushed out in increments to ensure the user's network compatibility. 

Please navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#RBR50%20(Orbi%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%202.7.4.2...

For more information on manually updating your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
jsauger
Tutor

Thank you for the quick response!

The road block with manually updating is the Router does not show up as a device available for manual updates. It only shows for automatic updates, which won't trigger 😕

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

As NG approves the FW for more wider use, I presume it will be made available via the Autoupdater service. 

For now users can manually downgrade the FW and and apply it using the manual tab function. 

Message 5 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jsauger,

Updating the RBR50 is a little different than updating the RBS50. To update the satellite you need to first select it in the manual update tab. To update the RBR50 no selection is necessary. Just select the browse button and select the appropriate firmware option. 

I included steps below to assist you in manually updating your router:

To update the firmware on your Orbi router, do the following:

1. Return to http://orbilogin.com.
    The BASIC Home page displays.
  2. Go back to the Firmware Update page:
    1. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Firmware Update.
    2. Click the Manual Update tab.
    3. Click the Browse button, then locate and select the file that ends in .img on your desktop.
      Be careful not to select the wrong file.
    4. Click the UPLOAD button to upload the firmware file.
      It takes a few minutes to finish the process.
      The page adjusts.
    5. Click the YES button to continue.
    6. After the Orbi router finishes updating, double-check the firmware version in the upper-right corner.
      The firmware on your Orbi router is updated.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 7
jsauger
Tutor

Thank you for the solution. The UI didn't make this too clear, but I see the difference in the respective update processes now. I have successfully update the Router. 

Thank you again 😊

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7