Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50v2 going on- and offline every few seconds

Magixians
Aspirant

RBS50v2 going on- and offline every few seconds

Hi

I bought an Orbi RBK5o the other day. One router RBR50v2 + one satellite RBS50v2

The satellite, is connected to the router, and placed 30 feet from the the router. There is clear line of sight between the satellite and router. They're at each end of a 30 ft corridor, that runs through the center of the house.

The satellite is going up and down about every ten-fifteen seconds. I can follow it in the app.

Three meter to the side of the satellite, I have an LG TV, it is connected to the router, and is streaming video. I am sitting next to the tv with my laptop, surfing, connected to the router. The TV and my laptop does not have a clear line of sight to the router. We're in the room next to the satellite, but there's a big chimney and thick wooden walls in the direct line between the router and tv and laptop. Still they work fine. Hence, there is no issue with the range from the router to where the satellite is located or even a bit further. Streaming video works.

I have tried to factory reset the satellite and re-connect it. Still the same issue.

Any ideas why the satellite is going on- and offline all the time, and how to fix it? 

And yes, the system was updated to latest firmware during installation.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50v2 going on- and offline every few seconds

Sounds like a faulty RBS what needs to be replaced. I recommend you contact NG support and ask for an RMA...

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Magixians wrote:

The satellite is going up and down about every ten-fifteen seconds. I can follow it in the app.

In addition to the app showing the satellite changing state, the TV and laptop also stop streaming while the satellite is down?

You are one of the "lucky few" who have a new system.  Netgear provides 90 days of "complimentary support"  (hah, you paid for it).  When the product is registered, there is a link on the registration web page to contact support.  They are, by coincidence, the very folks who authorize replacements!

Message 3 of 9
Magixians
Aspirant

The TV and the laptop are connected to the router directly, not via the satellite. And they're working fine, even streaming video. This indicates that there is no issue with wireless connectivity between the router and units in "worse" locations than the satellite. Hence, there should be no issue with the satellite wireless communication with the router either. It's also within recommended range and with a clear line of sight.

I am beginning to lean towards a faulty unit too. Probably no need to take it via Netgear, I'll just take it back to the store and get a replacement unit. They're usually not fuzzy at all about that if the unit is not ok, I am also within a 30-day return policy so I could just return it for a full refund if I want to. But, I'll give it one go to try another set.

Message 4 of 9
Magixians
Aspirant

A couple of other things

When trying another time to remove the satellite from the system and reconnect it. It reconnected to the router by itself without me pressing any sync buttons.

I turned the satellite off. Removed the satellite from the router in the web-interface. Turned the satellite on and factory reset it. While I was waiting for the correct LED light according to the setup-process, the satellite eventullay showed solid blue and when I checked connected devices in the web-page, the satellite showed up there. Despite having been removed, factory reset, and not synced.

Also, in the web interface, it always shows as connected and with a good backhaul-status, but in the app I can see it go on- and offline all the time. And in addition to this, when I check the firmware version, the status for the router says that there is no new version available, but for the satellite, it says it's waiting for connection. Which is in line with the issues seen in the app.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Magixians wrote:

And yes, the system was updated to latest firmware during installation.

It would be useful to know precisely which firmware is on the router and satellite.  I have upgraded (manually) to firmware 2.5.1.8.

Although my satellite is connected "Good" at 5G and is working, I just now opened the Administration->Firmware Update on the Orbi web interface and observed that for the satellite it says, "Please wait a moment" forever.  Eventually, it said "Update Failed."  It can't have failed because it is already on the latest firmware.  My guess is there is "something wrong" with the update mechanism.

The reason I asked about the TV and laptop is to get confirmation that the satellite is actually going on and off line.  The "app" is a wonderful thing.  If the "app" says on/off, but the web interface continues to say "Good", then it would be interesting to have confirmation from another source to "break the tie."  How about taking the laptop into the same room with the satellite, connecting to Orbi (and hope it picks the satellite), start streaming and then watch the app.  When the app says it went off-line, did the streaming stop?

Message 6 of 9
Magixians
Aspirant

The firmware version is V2.3.5.30 on both units.

Yes you have a point. However, no unit is connected to the satellite. That's a first indication the satellite is not ok. Otherwise the units in its direct vicinity would connect to it. At one point, right after it had restarted, I saw one unit connected to it. few seconds later, after it'd gone down and up, zero connected units. So it seems pretty clear, the satellite is not ok.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, back to the store it goes.  Thank your lucky stars you did not purchase it directly from Netgear.  Returning a product to Netgear direct is a modern day verion of Purgatory.

Message 8 of 9
Magixians
Aspirant

Hi

So, I sent support a ticket yesterday, under the 90-day free support "offer".

Today I got a several page long list with nine different items with information they say they need from me, in case they need to escalate the issue. In case they need to escalate the issue! How about starting with the issue at hand and see if it can be handled without escalation?

Half of the stuff was information I already gave and the other half irrelevant for my issues. Everything in extremely poor swedish obviously machine translated from english(?).

Not a single word on the actual issue.

I am NOT impressed.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7