× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50v2 - very poor system

MarcoBru
Tutor

RBS50v2 - very poor system

dear ppl

let me try here to find some suggestions, because up to now I'm very frustrated how poor are the performances of that kit, and due to the virus situation I've serious issues and I can't send it back to amazon.

Actually, after some sessions with the support, I updated the firmware, I reinstalled my network etc etc etc, but at the end of the day the problem is that the signal of my devices is definetly weaker than the apple express used before

Now, my situation is:

upper flow, 1 satellite, mid flow router, lower floor, satellite (overall the house is about 300m2)

In particulare in the lower floor MANY places are not covered by the signal.

At this stage, I was considering:

1. a network extender?? does it work for the satellite and in general with the ORBI system?

2. other satellites? how many can I install and can I mix different systems? ie AC1200 or so far? because they are very expensive with a definetly LOW value for money. And in this case I need to turn on again the daisy chain, now disabled according to the suggestion of the netgear support. Does that mean that I'll experience again connection instability? 

thanx for any hint

PS just to share: EVEN circle is not full supported by orbi, with the devices list that is totally no-names. What is buggy system

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50v2 - very poor system

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

For any Circle app problems or information, Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

You can add other RBS. Extenders may work however would not be using any wireless backhaul as RBS do. Some externders may not work at all. 

Message 2 of 6
MarcoBru
Tutor

thank you alot

about performances, I did so many trials with the support, that my conclusions are definitive: Poor wireless coverage of the devices, we concluded that airport devices are definetly more powerful as signal strengt.

Btw: latest firmware, problem is not internet but wifi coverage, both satellites are "green" and their connection with server is fine, channels chosen with the support, in any case Im living is a country house, no other networks around

About circle, as discussed with circle support, that is... this tool is not fully compatible with orbi and it is not able to download devices name.

now, coming to answers to my questions

1. ok but ANY satellite can be added to my network or only AC3000? can I add a Ac1200?

2. generic answer: do you know a extender that surely works with orbi?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For the size of your home a RBR and just 1 RBS should handle coverage. My 5000sq ft home works well with 1 RBR and 1 RBS. 

Building materials maybe a factor. 

It's recommended to use only RBS series with Orbi. 

One non NG extender I got seem to work ok with Orbi. Though I only had it connected for a short period of time to just update it's FW. You can try to see of it will works off hand if you have one. 

Possible that the Orbi system you have could be faulty. Orbi AC wifi is pretty good for coverage. 

Message 4 of 6
MarcoBru
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Building materials maybe a factor. 

It's recommended to use only RBS series with Orbi. 

One non NG extender I got seem to work ok with Orbi. Though I only had it connected for a short period of time to just update it's FW. You can try to see of it will works off hand if you have one. 

Possible that the Orbi system you have could be faulty. Orbi AC wifi is pretty good for coverage. 

thanx for all

1. Brick walls as everywhere in Italy, but the point is that bricks are same as with the apple airports, more or less positions are well, so we had a clear 1:1 comparison. About faulty device, unfortunately discussion with support team was suspended (delayed) due to the virus situation, it is a option.

2. RBS so also RBS20 shall work? In this case the network will be: RBS50....RBR50...RBS50...RBS20 in daisy chain. Does that affect performances of the other devices on the network?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ok. Yes, brick. Not great materials, however if the Airport was working and the Orbi isn't, at some point after your country is open again, you need to check in to an RMA and try another system. 

The RBS20 uses 866Mbps for it's wireless back haul rate. RB50s will use 1733Mbps. Other than this, the main wifi rates are the same for the primary radios, 866Mbps

I would wait to get another system to test before getting another RBS. You may not need it. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series