Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Raspberry Pi 3B won’t connect to Orbi Pro SXR80

Musicfan145
Aspirant

Raspberry Pi 3B won’t connect to Orbi Pro SXR80

I have three different Raspberry Pi Model 3B devices that I cannot get to connect to my Orbi Pro SXR80 Wi-Fi system. They all will connect perfectly with a wired connection. When I scan for SSIDs, they can all see my access point, and I can save the password to them, but they simply won’t connect to the access point with their built-in Wi-Fi radios. In the rare case when they do pull an IP address, they don’t stay connected after rebooting. I have tried flashing multiple different OS’s, including the standard one from RPi foundation. They are within 3 feet of the access point, so signal strength is not an issue. I also have a couple of Raspberry Pi Model 4B devices that all connect to my router just fine using the same OS’s and setup steps, but none of the Model 3B boards will connect. I tried reserving addresses for them in the DHCP settings of the router, but that didn’t seem to help. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? And how to fix it? Thanks so much for any insight.
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B won’t connect to Orbi Pro SXR80

My Pi 3B connects to a residential Orbi (RBR50) with both ethernet and WiFi.

I followed the directions to create  a WPA_supplicant file in this guide:

https://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2021/01/25/three-methods-to-configure-raspberry-pi-wifi/ 

(My goal was to set up a "headless" Raspberry Pi, so it had to connect to WiFi when it booted the first time.  I followed the directions to enable SSH and define the WiFi network. on the SD Card before inserting it into the Pi.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi Pro products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi Pro and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Musicfan145 wrote:
I have three different Raspberry Pi Model 3B devices that I cannot get to connect to my Orbi Pro SXR80 Wi-Fi system. They all will connect perfectly with a wired connection. When I scan for SSIDs, they can all see my access point, and I can save the password to them, but they simply won’t connect to the access point with their built-in Wi-Fi radios. In the rare case when they do pull an IP address, they don’t stay connected after rebooting. I have tried flashing multiple different OS’s, including the standard one from RPi foundation. They are within 3 feet of the access point, so signal strength is not an issue. I also have a couple of Raspberry Pi Model 4B devices that all connect to my router just fine using the same OS’s and setup steps, but none of the Model 3B boards will connect. I tried reserving addresses for them in the DHCP settings of the router, but that didn’t seem to help. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? And how to fix it? Thanks so much for any insight.

Message 3 of 5
Musicfan145
Aspirant

Thanks, I will repost it there!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors