Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Root privileges on VPN configuration?

bryanhughes
Aspirant

Root privileges on VPN configuration?

I Just installed the VPN client.conf with Tunnelblick and it warns me:

One or more VPN configurations that are being installed include programs which will run as root when you connect to a VPN. These programs are part of the configuration and are not part of the Tunnelblick application. They are able to TAKE COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR COMPUTER.

YOU SHOULD NOT INSTALL THESE CONFIGURATIONS UNLESS YOU TRUST THEIR AUTHOR.

Do you trust the author of the configurations and wish to install them?

Ah... What?!   

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Root privileges on VPN configuration?

This sounds like a question for Tunnelblick, which is not part of the process recommended by Netgear.

I do not see any 'applications' in the client.conf file Orbi produces for MacOS.

Could perhaps there be a different OpenVPN configuration file that Tunnelblick is complaining about?

Message 2 of 4
bryanhughes
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. This is the only VPN configuration on my Macbook. Netgear specifically says to use Tunnelblick. I looked at the conf as well and do not see any specified applications. The warning from Tunnelblick does specifically say that this is not from Tunnelblick. 

I am frustrated that Netgear only provides 90 days of support, which is lame considering I spent several hundred dollars on this setup and should at least deserve a limited number of support requests. At least Apple does this.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

You are absolutely correct.  I skimmed over the MacOS directions and did not recognize Tunnelblick.

No idea what that warning message was about.  There is nothing in the client.conf file that should be a concern.

I searched for Tunnelblick and root and got results talking about how Tunnelblick itself requires root priviledges.

Not much help.   Sorry.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7