Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Randomly Dropping Internet Connection

rhwd2003
Tutor

Router Randomly Dropping Internet Connection

I am coming to this forum with a month long problem. FIrst let me explain my environment:

Residential Brick House

2 Floors

3k Square foot

Spectrum Internet 200 up / 10 down

Arris SURFboard SB6190 Cable Modem
RBK50V2 Router & 1 Satellite FW V2.5.1.8

I have 26 wireless devices connected to my wifi
3 Nest Outdoor Cameras Mounted Under My Gutters (Set to Low Video Quality)
1 Nest Hello Doorbell (Set to Low Video Quality)
2 Nest Wifi Thermostats
3 Nest Protect Smoke Detectors
3 Wemo Light Switches
2 TCL Smart TV's Usually Connected to YouTubeTV via Roku Built In
Roku Express
2 iPads

4 iPhones
Macbook Pro
Macbook Air
Windows Desktop Wired to Router

Epson Printer
Google Home Hub
2 XBoxes

I have had internet drop issues for 6 plus months. I replaced my Arris Cable Modem with the new one listed above. I also had a Nighthawk AC1750 that I used for the last two to three years with no issues. I then started having internet drop issues. Each time the internet would drop the wired desktop into the router would still work but the wifi would not work. When you would try to connect to the wifi it would ask you for the password even though the device was already connected previously. I did find that when I turned off my nest outdoor cameras the drops wouldn't happen as frequently but I had these cameras for years and never had issues until after I connected the Nest Hello and more devices. The internet would drop multiple times a day and everyone would be frustrated. I then did alot of research and everyone recommended the Orbi Whole House System, I purchased the RBK50V2 with the router and one satellite. I had read that the Nighthawk had a max of 25 devices could connect to wifi at once and I was just over that threshold at 26. I set it up and the satellite and have moved it a couple times over the past three weeks of owning it to try to find the best spot. I did put it closer towards the two outdoor cameras that are outside through brick thinking they were having issues with connection and dragging the whole network down. That did not work, I am still having internet drop issues maybe once a down now.

I am struggling on what could be the problem and what to do next. My wifi settings are:
2.4 ghz - auto channel
5 ghz - 48 channel

WPA2-PSK [AES} Security

Outside of that I have not changed much with the Orbi since I have owned. Any ideas would could be wrong? Nowhere do we have every single one of these devices connected at once all taking up internet so I understand it's alot of devices but want to make sure its anything out of the ordinary. I can't figure out a way to see when the internet drops, log when it happens, how long its down, and what devices are hogging the internet to see if there is a bottleneck somewhere?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router Randomly Dropping Internet Connection

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Be aware that your SB6190 is considered flawed due to a intel chip set vulnerability. Haven't seen anything regarding a full fix. Seen some FW updates for it reported by some users in other forums. Advise is to not use modems with intel chipsets. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Where is the RBR base placed in the home? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@rhwd2003 wrote:

I am coming to this forum with a month long problem. FIrst let me explain my environment:

Residential Brick House

2 Floors

3k Square foot

Spectrum Internet 200 up / 10 down

Arris SURFboard SB6190 Cable Modem
RBK50V2 Router & 1 Satellite FW V2.5.1.8

I have 26 wireless devices connected to my wifi
3 Nest Outdoor Cameras Mounted Under My Gutters (Set to Low Video Quality)
1 Nest Hello Doorbell (Set to Low Video Quality)
2 Nest Wifi Thermostats
3 Nest Protect Smoke Detectors
3 Wemo Light Switches
2 TCL Smart TV's Usually Connected to YouTubeTV via Roku Built In
Roku Express
2 iPads

4 iPhones
Macbook Pro
Macbook Air
Windows Desktop Wired to Router

Epson Printer
Google Home Hub
2 XBoxes

I have had internet drop issues for 6 plus months. I replaced my Arris Cable Modem with the new one listed above. I also had a Nighthawk AC1750 that I used for the last two to three years with no issues. I then started having internet drop issues. Each time the internet would drop the wired desktop into the router would still work but the wifi would not work. When you would try to connect to the wifi it would ask you for the password even though the device was already connected previously. I did find that when I turned off my nest outdoor cameras the drops wouldn't happen as frequently but I had these cameras for years and never had issues until after I connected the Nest Hello and more devices. The internet would drop multiple times a day and everyone would be frustrated. I then did alot of research and everyone recommended the Orbi Whole House System, I purchased the RBK50V2 with the router and one satellite. I had read that the Nighthawk had a max of 25 devices could connect to wifi at once and I was just over that threshold at 26. I set it up and the satellite and have moved it a couple times over the past three weeks of owning it to try to find the best spot. I did put it closer towards the two outdoor cameras that are outside through brick thinking they were having issues with connection and dragging the whole network down. That did not work, I am still having internet drop issues maybe once a down now.

I am struggling on what could be the problem and what to do next. My wifi settings are:
2.4 ghz - auto channel
5 ghz - 48 channel

WPA2-PSK [AES} Security

Outside of that I have not changed much with the Orbi since I have owned. Any ideas would could be wrong? Nowhere do we have every single one of these devices connected at once all taking up internet so I understand it's alot of devices but want to make sure its anything out of the ordinary. I can't figure out a way to see when the internet drops, log when it happens, how long its down, and what devices are hogging the internet to see if there is a bottleneck somewhere?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Message 3 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How and when did you get FW V2.5.1.8? 

Message 4 of 13
theoak
Luminary

There is a lot of negative chatter concerning the SB6190.  If possible, you may want to consider a different model?

Having your ISP doing a line check is a great idea.

The Orbi logs (Advanced, Administration, Logs) do log internet connected events when it loses it.  I have noticed that - personally.  If the Orbi restarts however, I find the logs get wiped out. Look at Advanced - Advanced Home - Show Statistics.  What is your Up Time like?  If the Up Time and the Up Time of your WLAN (last 3 rows) are essentially the same, then your Orbi system is relatively stable, short of any internet losses that might be observed in the logs.  The logs may reveal other issues. 

If your Up Time is never more than a few hours, then your Orbi is restarting frequently.  Others here can advise on that better. 

If the Orbi uptime however runs into days, short of the logs revealing something, I would try:

1. Different placements of your Satellites to help ensure device connectivity.

• Do you devices have logs?  Maybe they reveal they are losing wifi connection?

2. Explore different SB6190 options.

• Maybe your ISP will swap it out for something different/better?
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Get into a Broadcom based modem. 

NGs CM1100 or 1100 for starters...

Message 6 of 13
rhwd2003
Tutor

Thanks for all of the replies and great info. I have not made any changes yet but turning on the logs, I wanted to see the logs before I started making too many changes. My internet is dropping multiple times a day now, like even multiple times an hour. When the internet drops, I am losing ethernet connection too instead of just wifi now that I have the orbi system.

When the internet drops, what should I look for in the logs? Here's what the logs looks like over the last couple hours when I have had internet drops...

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 15:18:22
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 15:18:21
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 15:00:48
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.9] to MAC address 2c:d9:74:b7:08:98, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:59:56
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:55:19
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.12] to MAC address c0:d2:f3:63:0c:c6, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:55:12
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:42:10
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.4] to MAC address b8:53:ac:41:f7:26, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:41:33
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:39:59
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 89.163.135.7, port 443, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:29:07
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.32] to MAC address 2c:54:91:de:44:7f, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:20:33
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:18:27
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.5] to MAC address d0:4f:7e:5e:de:1c, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:01:19
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.22] to MAC address a4:f1:e8:b0:b8:62, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:59:27
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:57:17
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 220.181.38.148, port 80, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:56:47
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.3] to MAC address 38:94:ed:bf:c4:39, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:56:05
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 173.194.77.26, port 25, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:55:20
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:55:16
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.5.1.8] Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:55:02

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I see more of these entries:

"[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4, Wednesday, March 11, 2020 14:42:10"

I would check your devices for this MAC address> d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4

Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:55:16
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.5.1.8] Wednesday, March 11, 2020 13:55:02

who did this?  You or NG?

Message 9 of 13
rhwd2003
Tutor

That was a device restart. I just had the internet drop 10 minutes ago and I looked at the connection stats and I see that the router actually rebooted itself. The logs got replaced and the connection stats says that its only been up for 10 minutes. Now that I can see that the router is rebooting each time I lose the internet. Where do I start next?

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check your devices for this MAC address> d8:c4:97:c2:9d:a4

I would start by turning OFF ALL Wired and wireless devices accept for 1 wired PC. Watch the behavior of the RBR to see if the RBR reboots any. I would power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back on. Watch the behavior with the 1 PC. If you don't notice anything. Start by adding a device. One at a time. Watch the behavior. See if anything changes after devices start connecting...

@rhwd2003 wrote:

That was a device restart. I just had the internet drop 10 minutes ago and I looked at the connection stats and I see that the router actually rebooted itself. The logs got replaced and the connection stats says that its only been up for 10 minutes. Now that I can see that the router is rebooting each time I lose the internet. Where do I start next?

Message 11 of 13
BEB7474
Star

Recently purchased Nighthawk CAX80. Never had problems w/ my internet connection before hooking up the Cax80. For last 2 wks since my Cax80 has been connected, im getting disconnected like every 20 min, ethernet & wifi. When I check out my Nighthawk app, it tells me I'm connected. Doesnt tell me I'm disconnected til I try to do a speed test. I've spent hours on the phone w/ NG "expert techs." Thats just been frustrating (language barrier & wait time) & a waste of time. I called Cox cable to make sure everything was good on their end. They said signal & connection are strong. When I lose connection, the lights continue to light like normal. I have only 2 devices connected. My cell & a streaming box. Any advice or help would be great. I read the posts above & I'm wondering if that worked?
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So NG has a specifi corum for cable modem gateways. Please post here in the following forum for your model modem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Thank you. 

@BEB7474 wrote:
Recently purchased Nighthawk CAX80. Never had problems w/ my internet connection before hooking up the Cax80. For last 2 wks since my Cax80 has been connected, im getting disconnected like every 20 min, ethernet & wifi. When I check out my Nighthawk app, it tells me I'm connected. Doesnt tell me I'm disconnected til I try to do a speed test. I've spent hours on the phone w/ NG "expert techs." Thats just been frustrating (language barrier & wait time) & a waste of time. I called Cox cable to make sure everything was good on their end. They said signal & connection are strong. When I lose connection, the lights continue to light like normal. I have only 2 devices connected. My cell & a streaming box. Any advice or help would be great. I read the posts above & I'm wondering if that worked?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7