Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Temperature over 120F

TommyGun811618
Follower

Router Temperature over 120F

I have my Orbi Router sitting on a shelf on top of my kitchen cabients spread out with several other smart home components.  I have 3 other sattelite units around my house.  I noticed the router felt warm yesterday so grabbed my IR Themometer and was shocked to see max temps around 120F / 48.9C  (Moving the IR around I got temps between 100F and 119F). The only thing I can find on the forums about temperature on this unit is that it is safe to opperate up to 40C (104F).  I updated my firmware, rebooted the router, and placed a small fan on the shelf.  I got temps down to 88F after a few hours.  I checked again this morning and it was back up over 115F.

I can't say I've taken a ton of temperature readings so I don't have history to rely upon.  I've had this unit for around 3 years now without any issues.  Is this just a case of me discovering the unit runs warm on a regular basis? Or should I invest in a fan to keep the unit cooler on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Tommy

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router Temperature over 120F

Ambient air and heated air tends to rise to higher elevations rather then lower elevations like near the floor. So if you have the RBR place up on a cabient in the kitchen near the cieling, the RBR will be in a environment where the air is warmer thus the RBR will be warmer as well. 

I recommend placing the RBR down lower or closer to the floor. Also one can install a USB laptop cooler under the RBR for additional forced air cooling. Something i have under mine 24/7. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7