Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellites having trouble staying connected after splitting WL and WLA SSID's on RBR50

jaspolar
Tutor

Satellites having trouble staying connected after splitting WL and WLA SSID's on RBR50

Wanted to maximize output of my devices by ensuring that devices could connect to 2.4g or 5g. I made the change earlier by enabling telnet, and then changing the SSIDs on my Orbi system with the following:

root@RBR40:/# config get wl_ssid
(name)
root@RBR40:/# config get wla_ssid
(name 5G)

We have two floors, with one satellite essentially in the middle on the first floor, the other two on the second floor. Each device is no more than 30 feet from the others. I keep checking my Orbi app, and the two satellites keep saying they're dropping connection. Does anyone have advice on how to resolve this? Was there steps I missed to ensure that my satellites can connect between the two bands?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satellites having trouble staying connected after splitting WL and WLA SSID's on RBR50

As no one has responded for some time, I think perhaps that it would be helpful to provide more background about the situation.

• What is the problem that setting SSID's is supposed to address?
  • Satellites connect to the router over a 5G "backhaul" channel that is separate from the "user facing" 2.4G and 5G channels.
Message 2 of 6
jaspolar
Tutor

Re: Satellites having trouble staying connected after splitting WL and WLA SSID's on RBR50

Well, it just seems that after I split the SSID's, one of the satellites wouldn't stay connected. All 3 rooms on the top floor are in a row, with satellite on one end, router on the other. The other satellite is in a room directly underneath the middle room. Essentially it's an inverted triangle. No device is more than 30 feet from each other, but when I split the SSID, at least one of the devices (the one on the bottom floor) kept dropping on the network map. It seemed like their communication was interrupted. A simple SSID split shouldn't cause that, unless there is more to the architecture than I'm aware. I work cloud infrastructure IT, but not hardware.

There has not been issues since I switched it back yesterday. Some devices just don't seem to have good connection at times. Primarly, the most important would be trying to cast a Zoom meeting on a firestick from an Android Note10 in the living room. I know the device is 5g compatible, and I wanted to ensure they had high bandwidth. Again, that device would be no more than 30 feet from the router.

Message 3 of 6
theoak
Luminary

Your Orbis may all be just too close.  You may only just need one on the second floor.  Maybe try at the ends of the long side of your "triangle"?

Other ideas:

1. Reduce the power to say 50%?

2. Turn off fast roaming - with your Orbis close, it could be your devices support fast roaming and are flipping around to varios Orbis causing your disconnection.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Do the RBS work better if you don't separate the SSIDs and use the system as designed by NG? 

Message 5 of 6
jaspolar
Tutor

We are on a RBR50 Tri-band, with 1 main router and 2 satellites. I only implemented the SSID change yesterday, so I can't say for certain how optimal they work with split SSID's, as of yet. Others in the thread I saw had no issues. Certainly, we noticed some issues with connectivity when I made the switch. I reverted the switch to maintain proper connection. I am wondering if there may be other options in advanced settings that can help.

Implicit BeamForming was enabled, would that have caused connectivity issues? From what I understand, all that does is help older devices connect.

Would MU-MIMO help? There's 5 people in the house, each having multiple devices, although not all devices may not be streaming at once. I know we're not super high density, but am curious. I don't believe Fast-Roaming is necessary, most objects are stationary.

If we lowered the 2.4ghz power threshold, would that prioritize 5ghz connections for compatibile devices?

Alternatively, other posts recommended leaving the 5ghz as the standard connection, and creating a separate name for the 2.4ghz band. Considering the satellites operate on 5ghz, is that a possible solution for the devices that operate solely on 2.4ghz?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7