× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow FFTH 1Gbps Orbi rbk23

Carletto54
Follower

Slow FFTH 1Gbps Orbi rbk23

Hi, I've installed FTTH (from FTTC). The pc connected through LAN to the main provider router, reach 900mbps in download and 310 mbps in upload.

The orbi router is connected through LAN to the main router, and I've an Orbi satellite in my room, with my pc connected through LAN to the orbi satellite, but the speed download is slower: only 400 mbps download but 310 in upload;

Do you know the reason?

I've have TIM HUB (MAIN Router) -  ORBI RBK23 (ROUTER) -  ORBI RBS20 (3 SATELLITES)

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Slow FFTH 1Gbps Orbi rbk23

The RBK23 system connects satellites to the router in one of two ways:

• Using a 5GHz WiFi channel (the default), or
  • Using Ethernet cables (for those fortunate enough to be able to provide the wiring).

The Product Data Sheet shows that the maximum theoretical throughput between router and satellite is 866MB/s:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK23.pdf 

This can be achieved only when the satellite is (literally) a foot away from the router.  As the distance increases and the signal must penetrate walls, the signal level falls (and falls).

My RBR50 system has a maximum theoretical backhaul connection speed of 1,733MB/s, yet the three satellites I have connected to it report:

• 866MB/s
  • 780MB/s
  • 780MB/s

That single 5G WiFi channel must be shared between the three satellites.  When any radio transmits (router or satellite), then the other three units must wait for their turn to use the radio channel.

Plus, WiFi has a greater overhead than Ethernet.  Radio time is consumed by Beacon frames (in your case as many as 40 per second) and other overhead.

There is a way to learn the actual connection rate of your satellites:

• Download and install a Python script to enable telnet on the router.
    https://github.com/bkerler/netgear_telnet 
  • Open a telnet program (such as Windows built in telnet.exe or PuTTY) on the PC.
  • Connect to the router by IP address (usually 192.168.1.1, or 10.0.0.1)
  • Type the command:
    satelliteinfo  wifi

The way to get higher performance is to connect any (or all) satellites to the router with Ethernet cable.  This is simply not practical for most people.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series