Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stability issue

BrentATX
Aspirant

Stability issue

Orbi system is dropping about every 20mins. I've seen a number of posts here with help provided, but also have read different solutions. I've tried some of them and still am having troubles. Interesting to note, that when WIFI drops - it is only my TV's (Samsung), mobile phones and other wireless devices. My ATT wireless cable boxes do not drop offline.

ATT Gigapower, UVERSE (NVG599), 4000sq ft home

coax --> ATT (NVG599) -->Orbi Router (in router mode) -->Ether 1 to media room & ether 3 to office

ATT says their WAP must stay plugged into NVG599 to allow wirelss boxes to work. 

Orbi Settings: IP dynamic; DNS auto; default MAC

2.4 (channel 6) 50% power; 5 (channel 48) 75% power; WPA2

FW V2.2.1.210

Message 1 of 10
BrentATX
Aspirant

Re: Stability issue

wouldn't let me type more...

Daisy Chain: disabled

Implicit Beam: enabled

MIMO:diabled

Fast Roaming: disabled

Telnet steps completed on the computer to separate

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Whats the distance bewtween the Orib router/satellite and the ISP modem with wifi? You'll need to keep these two as far appart as possible. 6feet to start. This goes for channels between them as well. ISP modem set to 1 and Orbi set to 11. 

I recommend this as well, If you can't bridge the modem router combo, configure the modems DMZ  or IP Pass Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

@BrentATX wrote:

Orbi system is dropping about every 20mins. I've seen a number of posts here with help provided, but also have read different solutions. I've tried some of them and still am having troubles. Interesting to note, that when WIFI drops - it is only my TV's (Samsung), mobile phones and other wireless devices. My ATT wireless cable boxes do not drop offline.

ATT Gigapower, UVERSE (NVG599), 4000sq ft home

coax --> ATT (NVG599) -->Orbi Router (in router mode) -->Ether 1 to media room & ether 3 to office

ATT says their WAP must stay plugged into NVG599 to allow wirelss boxes to work. 

Orbi Settings: IP dynamic; DNS auto; default MAC

2.4 (channel 6) 50% power; 5 (channel 48) 75% power; WPA2

FW V2.2.1.210

Message 3 of 10
BrentATX
Aspirant

I am within the 30ft recommend. I have the modem set as passthrough. The Orbi router and modem are about 4 inches apart Smiley Very Happy

dumb question: steps to check Orbi for channel 11?

Message 4 of 10
Shotround
Apprentice

im on att uverse but with internet/dsl only using a pace gateway. i think im on to something if you can check these settings out. might be different with your device.  i changed my tcp session timeout to 1800 seconds for now.  restart the gateway/modem if you change that setting. i have written up my findings but need a few more days to verify.

a. pace gateway -> settings -> diagnostics -> nat -> total sessions in use around 6000 or about 75%
 b. pace gateway -> firewall -> advanced configuration -> tcp session timeout at 86400 seconds (default)

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the satellite(s) out to 30 feet or farther if possible. Too close can cuase problems. The router alone can cover up to 30 feet and a bit beyond. 

4 inches appart to TOO close.Smiley Sad try 6 feet. 

Basic Tab/Wireless. 

@BrentATX wrote:

I am within the 30ft recommend. I have the modem set as passthrough. The Orbi router and modem are about 4 inches apart Smiley Very Happy

dumb question: steps to check Orbi for channel 11?

Message 6 of 10
BrentATX
Aspirant

Sorry, I wasn't clear....my satellites are in other rooms, so they are at the proper distance. Only the router was near the modem (i've since moved it away some, but.....) I nearing the point of just returning the system and going back to what I had with just ATT or moving the Orbi to just AP mode and see if this makes an improvement.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode probably won't make any differences. The main issue is that the Orbi router is too close to the ISP modems wifi. There is interferences when too close that cause problems. And for your needs you can't disable the ISP modems wifi which would be preferred in other cases. 

If you can get the Orbi router away from the ISP modem and then use far away channels on each unit as mentioned, you should see better operation. Basic Tab/Wireless settings. Set channel 11 on 2.4ghz and 36 on 5Ghz. Go into your ISP modems wifi settings and set channel 1 on 2.4Ghz and 48 or 149 to 165 if those channels are available there. 

Overall having too much wifi in close proximity will be problematic. 

@BrentATX wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear....my satellites are in other rooms, so they are at the proper distance. Only the router was near the modem (i've since moved it away some, but.....) I nearing the point of just returning the system and going back to what I had with just ATT or moving the Orbi to just AP mode and see if this makes an improvement.

Message 8 of 10
BrentATX
Aspirant

Thanks. I spent 45 mins on the phone with tech support (Orbi team). Their advice was just the opposite of everything I've read on the community forums, etc.

Ultimately, her solution was to unplug one of the satellites and just monitor the system with only the router and one satellite operating. Her claim was there shouldn't be anymore problems....

Welp, I did that; rebooted....and...wifi dropped twice during a 40 min netflix episode. So, I'm no closer to solution.

I will try the suggestion to move the router a much further distance from modem. Although I have wifi turned off on the NVG599 box from ATT.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

One other thing you can try, set the power output levels on the router from 100% to say 75 or 50% and see. 

Is MIMO enabled? Enable it if it isn't. Both Beam Forming and MIMO can be enabled. 

I would confirm that the wifi IS actually OFF on the ISP modem when you do this. Find a wifi scanner for a mobile device and then use it to see what signal and SSIDs are near by. You can see the modems SSID show and disappear when you enable then disable it. 

If the wifi on the modem will be disabled completely long term, then you can move the Orbi router close. If you need to enable the wifi on the ISP modem for your ISP services and streaming devices, then the Orbi will need to be far away as possible. 

"ATT says their WAP must stay plugged into NVG599 to allow wirelss boxes to work. "

Where is the physical WAP device located in relation to the Orbi router and satelites? 

@BrentATX wrote:
Thanks. I spent 45 mins on the phone with tech support (Orbi team). Their advice was just the opposite of everything I've read on the community forums, etc.

Ultimately, her solution was to unplug one of the satellites and just monitor the system with only the router and one satellite operating. Her claim was there shouldn't be anymore problems....

Welp, I did that; rebooted....and...wifi dropped twice during a 40 min netflix episode. So, I'm no closer to solution.

I will try the suggestion to move the router a much further distance from modem. Although I have wifi turned off on the NVG599 box from ATT.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7