Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Steps to Install an additional RBR 50 to an existing RBR 50 system

stevei1940
Aspirant

Steps to Install an additional RBR 50 to an existing RBR 50 system

I need to add an additional RBR 50 to an existing RBR 50 system for additional coverage.

What steps do I need to take to install it?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Steps to Install an additional RBR 50 to an existing RBR 50 system

Now that so many phones, tablets, laptops support WiFi6, replacing a WiFi5 system with WiFi6 (or even WiFi6E) is a common move.  The good news is that every major WiFi vendor sells capable products.  (The bad news is also that every major vendor has good products, so making a choice becomes more complicated.)

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear's Orbi products have two distinct models:

• Router, such as RBR50
  • Satellite, such as RBS50

Unlike some other companies, Netgear designed the Orbi line where there is one "router" and a variable number of "satellites".  There cannot be multiple routers.  Thus, Step 1 is purchase an RBS50.

Once the satellite is on hand, plug it into power close to the router (so that it is easy to observe and manipulate both units).

Then Step 2 is to use the Orbi 'app' or the Orbi web interface to Add a satellite.  (I much prefer the web interface).  See page 12 of the User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Step 3 is to relocate the satellite to the desired location which is close enough to the router to get a "Good" connection (indicated by the ring light on the top turning Blue for 3 minutes) and far enough away to expand the WiFi coverage area as desired.

Message 2 of 11
stevei1940
Aspirant

Thanks so much for this.  I mistakenly bought the wrong model. I bought the RBR 50.

Can I use it as a satellite?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

No, only as a router or in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 11
stevei1940
Aspirant

What is AP mode?  Please explain.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Mainly the router portion of the RBR is disabled and only the Wi-Fi system is used for connections with Wi-Fi devices. Has to be ethernet connected to a host router when in AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 6 of 11
stevei1940
Aspirant

Unless there's another workaround, it looks like I wasted some money. I can't get an ethernet cable from the router to connect the new device. It's way too far.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you return the RBR50 and then find a RBS20, RBS30, RBS40v or RBS50 and in a pinch, EX and EAX series wifi extenders can work, just won't integrate with the Orbi system or app like the RBS will. 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

There are workarounds, but they do not affect the issue that attaching a router in any mode (router, access point) creates a new WiFi network that is not part of the Orbi "mesh".  The key characteristic of mesh networks is that devices can roam seamlessly between parts of the mesh.  Before mesh networks were created in the late 2010's, people expanded their WiFi coverage area by:

• Connecting Access Points by cable to the primary router.
  • Connecting WiFi 'Extenders' to the primary router over the house wiring or using WiFi.

These solutions led to frustration for users because WiFi devices would tend to "hang on" to their WiFi connection as they moved farther and farther away from their connection point.  They might drop from 5G to 2.4G.  Performance would continue to drop until finally the device might give up and look for a different connection.

"Honey. Why is the WiFi so SLOW??"  "Did you remember to turn off WiFi and turn it back on when you went into the bedroom?"  Mesh systems make that issue go away.

Workarounds:

• Houses with coax cable running throughout the house (left over from cable TV days) can use MoCA adapters to create a "semi-Ethernet" link between two points in the house.  See
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance I've done it and it can work great.
  • Depending on house electrical wiring, a link can be established between two parts of the house using PowerLine adapters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication .  I use that now because I got tired of the MoCA link.  For me, PowerLine does not work as well, but one hates to "go back".)  PowerLine depends on the electrical wiring and can be difficult to implement.
  • A WiFi Extender could connect to the Orbi router over WiFi and the RBR50 could be connected to it.

Rather than persist with the RBR50, WiFi extenders can fulfill the same function (for a LOT less money). The issue remains that they create a separate WiFi network.

Just as a not, WiFi extenders are a great solution for devices that do not move.  Need WiFi to a camera that is just out of range? One it's connected, it stays connected because it doesn't move.  This can also solve that irritating problem when a device doesn't want to connect to a mesh network (like Orbi).  Use a WiFi extender to create a WiFi signal with a different name that is 2.4G only.  Device cannot be confused.

Message 9 of 11
stevei1940
Aspirant

Many thanks. Workarounds aren't worth it. I'm not techie enough to get it done, so it looks like I'll either get an RBS50 or bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest version of a Mesh network with a router and 2 satellites.

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Now that so many phones, tablets, laptops support WiFi6, replacing a WiFi5 system with WiFi6 (or even WiFi6E) is a common move.  The good news is that every major WiFi vendor sells capable products.  (The bad news is also that every major vendor has good products, so making a choice becomes more complicated.)

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7