Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Temporary disable all 5GHz channels of Orbi router.

astake
Aspirant

Temporary disable all 5GHz channels of Orbi router.

I need to disable the 5GHz channels in order to add new smart home devices which support 2.4GHz only. I have no clue to separate the SSID of 5GHz & 2.4GHz. I found the way to disable 5GHz temporary from the post "Temporaily Disable 5g network on Orbi with mac terminal commands" by the following telnet command:

seconds=600; x=0; while [ $x -lt $seconds ]; do ip link set down dev $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP); x=$(( x + 1 )); echo "down $x"; sleep 1; done

However, only one 5GHz channel was disabled but the other is still there. Any can help what is the comman to disable both 5GHz channels. Or it had better to have the command set.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Re: Temporary disable all 5GHz channels of Orbi router.

It’s the same command, but you need to execute it on the Satellite. I guess that you only done this for the Router.
Message 2 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Try this method which works for most IoT devices that require your smart phone to also be on the 2.4GHz frequency to configure their WiFi.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
astake
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:
It’s the same command, but you need to execute it on the Satellite. I guess that you only done this for the Router.
I did not turn on the satellite. One of the 5GHz shut down but the other still there.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@astake wrote:

I did not turn on the satellite. One of the 5GHz shut down but the other still there.

It's omly one fronthaul network broadcasted from the router. What other network do you see? Is it the "hidden" backhaul network?

Message 5 of 9
astake
Aspirant

@tomschmidt wrote:

Try this method which works for most IoT devices that require your smart phone to also be on the 2.4GHz frequency to configure their WiFi.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.

Thanks but no luck. I tried to forget then turn the WiFi off or turn the phone off then back  again. My I phone always connected back to 5GHz. I disabled 5GHz SSID broadcast and set 5GHz power to 25%.

Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@astake wrote:

I did not turn on the satellite. One of the 5GHz shut down but the other still there

What other 5 GHz do you mean? From the Orbi router you should only have one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz network.

Message 7 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

If your iPhone keeps connecting to the 5GHz band, then try moving further away from your router and satellite with the phone. The 2.4GHz signal has a longer range than 5GHz, but a slower bandwidth.  So if you are 50 feet or more away from the router/satellite,  your phone may change to the 2.4GHz signal.  Once it does, then do the setup of the IoT device.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

@astake wrote:

I need to disable the 5GHz channels in order to add new smart home devices which support 2.4GHz only. I have no clue to separate the SSID of 5GHz & 2.4GHz. I found the way to disable 5GHz temporary from the post "Temporaily Disable 5g network on Orbi with mac terminal commands" by the following telnet command:

seconds=600; x=0; while [ $x -lt $seconds ]; do ip link set down dev $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP); x=$(( x + 1 )); echo "down $x"; sleep 1; done

However, only one 5GHz channel was disabled but the other is still there. Any can help what is the comman to disable both 5GHz channels. Or it had better to have the command set.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7