Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two Orbi routers in a network? (Can one become a satellite)?

lowepg
Apprentice

Two Orbi routers in a network? (Can one become a satellite)?

The single addon satelite price compared to some of the deals on 2-packs (router + satelite) has me wondering if there's a way to leverage an extra router?

Ideas?

Message 1 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Two Orbi routers in a network? (Can one become a satellite)?

Non that I've heard of that will allow your second router to become a node on the mesh of the first router sharing the same backhaul.

Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

There was a post on here a few weeks ago by a Netgear employee stating that you could connect a second Orbi router to a first Orbi router by using the second system in AP mode. The post had a couple diagrams also.

Message 3 of 4
guzzijason
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

There was a post on here a few weeks ago by a Netgear employee stating that you could connect a second Orbi router to a first Orbi router by using the second system in AP mode. The post had a couple diagrams also.

I don't think you can use wireless backhaul in this setup, however - would need to wire the AP Orbi router to the main router with ethernet. This would leave you with two networks that are bridged together, and each Orbi router would need to be managed independenly. A bit more complicated than simply deploying more dedicated satellites, but it should work.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7