Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB connection

Lv23
Follower

USB connection

Wondering how to connect a USB device to Orbi WiFi router/modem combo. Is there an external device I can purchase to make connection since there is not a USB port on Orbi.
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: USB connection

@Lv23 wrote:
Wondering how to connect a USB device to Orbi WiFi router/modem combo. Is there an external device I can purchase to make connection since there is not a USB port on Orbi.

There are plenty of "ethernet to USB" adapters.  HOWEVER..... They are designed to connect a relatively "smart" device such as a laptop computer to a network when the device has no ethernet jack.  I have serious doubts that a "dumb" device such as (for example) a USB hard drive or memory stick would work.  An additional complication is that most adapters come with USB Type A male connectors and most USB devices these days have a mini USB, micro USB, or Type C jack.

An Amazon search will turn up dozens of adapters under $20.  Most of the product descriptions mention computers.  Perhaps a look at the product web sites would turn up a description of whether they work with the device you have in mind.

Message 2 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

@Lv23 wrote:

It depends on what type of device and why you want to connect something via USB to your Orbi network.  It also may not be a good idea or not the best way to accomplish what you're trying to do.  For example:

1. Are you trying to connect a USB printer?  Not supported, but there are some "usb print server" devices available.  I usually wouldn't recommend them because usually it's better to share such a printer via an always-on Windows desktop or something like that.
  2. Are you trying to connect a USB drive and get network storage?  Again, not supported and performance of such things is usually poor compared to alternative solutions.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7