Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unmanaged switch support for multiple routers

Fredarmijo
Aspirant

Unmanaged switch support for multiple routers

I am trying to connect an orbi router and an Apple Airport Extreme router to my switch, in which the modem is also connected.  The orbi works fine, but the Apple AE does not.  What might I be doing wrong?

Model: JGS524|24 Port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unmanaged switch support for multiple routers

Standard configuration of switches are always behind the router, never in between a modem and router. 

You'll need to get with apple support in regards to configuration of the Apple AE device with your modem. 

If you need help with your NG switch, please post in the switch forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmanaged-Switches/bd-p/business-unmanaged-switches

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Fredarmijo wrote:

I am trying to connect an orbi router and an Apple Airport Extreme router to my switch, in which the modem is also connected.  The orbi works fine, but the Apple AE does not.  What might I be doing wrong?

The reinforce the commeent from @FURRYe38 .  If this actually is a "modem" (not a combination modem/router), then what happens is something that is connected to the switch asks for an IP address address and the ISP says, "Aha.  This MAC address belongs to the customer who is using this particular modem.  I will assign an IP address to this MAC address, and ONLY this MAC address can send/receive using this modem."  So, the Orbi MAC got the IP address.  When the Apple Extreme router asks for an IP address, the ISP says, "Screw you.  I already have given out the one IP address for this modem."  (Actually, ISP's do not swear.)

A router needs to be the only thing connected to the "modem".

Now, if this modem is actually a modem/router, there are other considerations.

Message 3 of 5
Fredarmijo
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.  I have a JGS524 switch.  I have the modem, the Orbi, and the Apple AE plugged into the switch.  Should I be able to have both routers share the same IP address?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't have two routers on the same line in that configuration.

The switch configuration should be like this:

ISP modem>Apple Router>switch>Orbi RBR in AP mode. 

Or 

ISP modem>Orbi RBR in router mode>switch. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7