Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updating Orbi firmware questions/problems | running in AP

adambean
Luminary

Updating Orbi firmware questions/problems | running in AP

Hey all,

When I look at the firmware update section of Orbi, I only see the Router (RBR50); however, I have two satellites (RBS50) attached as well, they do not show. Further, it shows my RBR50 is on 1.4.0.18 and when I click "check" it says "no new firmware version available".

I realize there's a much newer version available and I can manually download, but shouldn't it have detected that? That and I've read before (as it bit me in the past when I first tried the Orbi) that you have to update your satellites first. 

If it matters, I'm running the Orbi in AP mode. I'm assuming this does matter, as I can't login via Orbilogin.com anymore and have to go directly to the IP's of the devices right? Damnit. That's my issue isn't it? 

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
adambean
Luminary

Re: Updating Orbi firmware questions/problems | running in AP

Yep, have to connect to each device by IP and perform updates manually. Not the worst, but a bit of a PITA.

I see that you can set the IP of the router, but can you not do so on the satellites? 

Thanks

Message 2 of 6
adambean
Luminary

Well that's fun, updated sat1, no issue. Updated sat2 and it's not coming back online. These things are so flakey ... it's why I bailed the first time. Wanted to give them another shot, quickly losing faith. 

Message 3 of 6
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@adambean wrote:

I see that you can set the IP of the router, but can you not do so on the satellites? 

You can try reserving the IP in DHCP for each of the satellites, I haven't tried it, but don't see why it shouldn't work.

Message 4 of 6
adambean
Luminary

@adambean wrote:

Well that's fun, updated sat1, no issue. Updated sat2 and it's not coming back online. These things are so flakey ... it's why I bailed the first time. Wanted to give them another shot, quickly losing faith. 

Good call. Will try that after I get sat2 operable again. Stuck with a magenta light after upgrade. Just did a factory reset ... fun.

Message 5 of 6
adambean
Luminary

So i started a new thread about the bad firmware/sat issue, that isn't showing up on the forum list, nor can I reply to it?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Magenta-lite-on-satellite-after-firmware-upgrade/td-p/1385855

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7