Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade to Orbi

RHS944
Follower

Upgrade to Orbi

I am upgrading my existing Apple based home network to Orbi.  The reason is coverage / degrading signal strengh with my current network.  I am not a techy.  So, bear with the simple question.  Can I set up the new Orbi network in parallel to the existing Apple network.   This would allow internet access during the conversion, and if i run into issue(s), will keep the family happy until i find a solution.  As well as being able to work from home while solving issues, if any.   My experience is that nothing goes smoothly.  Can this be done?   If so, how does one do it?    The modem has one eithernet connection, so do I

1) Connect the Orbi via eithernet cable to the Apple Router, sort of in series

2) put a switch in the line from the modem to the Apple , allowing me to switch between the Apple and Orbi Routers

3) use a splitter to split the eithernet cable from the modem to both the Apple and Oric routers

After the Orbi is up and running, i would take down the Apple network

Are the other suggestions / alternative ?  And if so, the pros/ cons of them

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
netwrks
Master

Re: Upgrade to Orbi

If you want to keep your Apple router up and running during your Orbi transition, then configure the Orbi as an Access Point (see link here). When configuration is complete, plug the Orbi into one of the Ethernet ports on your Apple router. ( I would try with different SSID than the Apple, so you know what you are connected to)..

When you are ready for your Orbi to be the Base router on your network. Reset the Orbi to factory default (manual link here) Page 107.

Power off your modem for around 15 minutes, disconnect your Apple router from your modem..

When 15 minutes has elapsed, and you have reset your Orbi to factory default, connect the WAN port on the Orbi to your modem. Power up your modem first. When it is online, power up the Orbi and follow manual (Chapter Two).

I would use an Ethernet Cable, as opposed to WIFI, trying to connect to the router, for setup. All the info for the Orbi can be found in the manual.

Message 2 of 3
rhester72
Virtuoso

Re: Upgrade to Orbi

Do bear in mind that if you do this, you're going to have multiple devices broadcasting on potentially the same channels, which can lead to interference and create issues for both the Apple device _and_ the Orbi, leading you to suspect problems where none may actually exist.  Just an FYI.

Rodney

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7