Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

intermittent internet dropouts RBK50

Wamphyri
Aspirant

intermittent internet dropouts RBK50

I have been suffering intermittant internet issues for a while now and i was hoping that the latest firmware update would have made a differnce but it hasn't 😞

here is a log from the last 3 days.  I applied the latest firmware at 10.43 last night (12th)

Failure Start Length
11/07/2019 9:50:57 PM 0:01:59
12/07/2019 8:32:06 AM 0:01:58
12/07/2019 3:24:07 PM 0:03:43
12/07/2019 4:42:37 PM 0:01:57
12/07/2019 9:20:38 PM 0:01:58
12/07/2019 10:43:06 PM 0:01:34
13/07/2019 4:29:14 AM 0:01:59
13/07/2019 4:51:44 AM 0:03:07

does anyone have any ideas?  is there a system log for the device that i can check the one i can download from the interface doesn't show information iike interface resets or the error of the system.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Wamphyri
Aspirant

Re: intermittent internet dropouts RBK50

I should also point out that the system doesn't appear to be rebooting at the dropouts as the system uptime (see below) currently goes back to the last reboot (firmware update):

My suspicion is that there is some kind of wan port reset happening but i have no evidence to back this up

CPU Load 40.1914%  

Memory Usage(Used/Total) 138MB/495MB  

Flash Usage(Used/Total) 2945MB/4096MB  

Network Session(Active/Total) 361/65536  

System Uptime 10:24:03

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

This happening with wireless and wire connected devices? 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 7
Wamphyri
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the response.

i've answered a numbe rof the points below, but the issue is not a wireless issue the disconnect log is from a hard wired machine direct into the Orbi.  I've been looking at the logs but not much in there and as its intermittant its difficult to capture the point of disconnect. (only after).

ideally I'd like to get the equivalent of a windows sysem log output to see whats happening at the point of failure.  from what is happening it seems more like the WAN interface is resetting but like i said without being able to look at log files at the point of failure its impossible to tell.

I'm going to fire up an external machine an run a test the opposite way to see if that helps with the investigation as I have a static IP from my ISP.

Vodafone ISP Modem - Technicolor TC440VDF HW Ver 3.6.0

This happening with wireless and wire connected devices? 

Affects only the internet connection wireless internal device connection works

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 

-Done this previously

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? -

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. - approx 25ft on different floors

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

a couple but as mentioned not really a wireless issue

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW was updated? 

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I have not experienced any issue thus far. However mine was updated and a factory reset was performed and setup from scratch. Been online for about a day now. 

Message 5 of 7
Wamphyri
Aspirant

Hi, I answered a number of your questions in my previous response??

I Havent completely reset the device since the latest  firmware update 2 days ago but have done previously (this has been happening for some time now not just since the last fw update)

the device is in router mode

the issue is solely related to the wan connection I have a stable connection internally both via ethernet cable and also wireless so and also between devices connected on the satellite and the Router unit so its not a wireless or internal routing issue.

the only port that drops is the WAN one.  its almost as if its suffering some form of buffer overload and then resetting itself.

However i cant seem to ascertain which logs can give me anything to support this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset with the RBR. 

Also I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute as well. Then back ON with the ISP modem. Then setup the RBR...

Check that status of the WAN port to see the speed of the connection with the modem, should be 1000Mb, not 100Mb

Might have the ISP check the Modem logs for anything seen on there side during this time when the connection drops. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7